spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spam

you have spam running rampant on your forum and when I went to report the posts I got the message

"This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between reporting posts. Please try again in 44 seconds."

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306725
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306726

While I would have liked to bring both threads to the attention of the moderation staff, or even look for a way to eliminate it as a forum entity when you eliminate the very moderation tools that you promote as a software provider it is difficult to endorse your product..

This needs to be able to allow people to report more than one thread in a short amount of time.
    www.Copiertalk.com - Everything Copier , Printer, Fax

I reported one of them a while ago in the hope that they'd notice both as I've had the 'please wait 60 seconds' thing before. Is quite annoying really, especially if it's two different spammers in two different forum areas.
    - TomJames

Comment

you have spam running rampant on your forum and when I went to report the posts I got the message

"This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between reporting posts. Please try again in 44 seconds."

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306725
      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306726

While I would have liked to bring both threads to the attention of the moderation staff, or even look for a way to eliminate it as a forum entity when you eliminate the very moderation tools that you promote as a software provider it is difficult to endorse your product..

This needs to be able to allow people to report more than one thread in a short amount of time.
      Im sure something like that would have time limits on it for the prevention of spam, as the Forum Administrators/Moderators recieve an E-Mail about the reported post, and if people reported it over and over again, without any timer delays, inboxes can become quickly spammed.

Quite a necessary method i think.
      Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

In another way, this can help to avoid a lot of posts from spam bots in a short time.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

In another way, this can help to avoid a lot of posts from spam bots in a short time.
          There are Pro's and Con's to the system, but you just cant please everyone.

Comment

Unless I'm missing something there is no separate setting for this. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

It is shared by either Email Flood Check or PM - Minimum Time Between Messages, and reducing either one could potentially allow spammers to create even more problems.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I think all you need to do is report the one username that is spamming and mods will remove them all.

It's not rampant. That is being a bit dramatic.
              ...steven
              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

That's true since we use the extremely useful 'Delete as Spam' function.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I agree that the staff here does a nice job to remove spam and provide a nice browsing experience for its members.

Running a forum I also understand it is hard to moderate all forums and keep up with all activitity in the forum at all times.

I meant no ill fealing to the staff as they do have an important job and are good at it. My only complaint was that I could not report threads as fast as the spammer had created them.

I should have made my question more clear. Can you reduce the post flood for customers with a licence so we can report spam faster?

For new users I can understand the post flood settings but for customers that have paid $180 to use the service, I would like to be able to notify people of abuse of the service I enjoy.

Comment

Thats not a default feature of the software so right now we can't. If you find one spammer, you do not need to report all of their posts. We usually just use the builtin spam tools to deal with it. You onlny need to report multiple users who are spamming.

Comment

As a user.

I can honestly say I never even looked at the username. I only looked at the content of the post.

The two threads may have or may not have been by the same user. I only looked at the content and tried to report the threads based on the content rather than the user name. I at this time could not even tell you who it was but I can tell you the threads were cell phone based.

I can only say that I did not want it on your forum so I tried to report each one and have it removed. That was all I was requesting.

If it is not a function of the software by usergroup, please add it to the list of options in the to do list.

this would help here as well as on more less busy forums.

Comment

I can honestly say I never even looked at the username. I only looked at the content of the post.
                        You can usually tell if its a spam post most of the time by just the title alone "CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE 8GB IPHONE!!!" sorta lets you know that there is a spammer on board

Comment

And I'll say most people are pretty good at not replying to spam.
                          Replying bugs me more than the actual spam itself.
                          ...steven
                          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment