vBulletin Members Area Phishing Attempts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin Members Area Phishing Attempts

Just out of curiosity, should we just simply delete the emails? Or should we submit them in for analysis, in order to eliminate the website to block future phishing attempts and/or possible legal action by Jelsoft?
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

I have not heard of any policy regarding proceeding this, so I do not know.

Comment

What emails?
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...36#post1699036

Aren't these phishing attempts usually conducted via email?
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Actually that announcement was in response to someone being stupid enough to try and post a phishing attempt on our forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Phinshing attempts can be very powerful and pursuasive, i almost fell for one once.
            Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
              Actually that announcement was in response to someone being stupid enough to try and post a phishing attempt on our forums.
              Best way to phishing a site, posting it on the main site.

Comment

Originally posted by SNN View Post
                Best way to phishing a site, posting it on the main site.
                In addition to the obvious banning of this moron, his domain name is also now censored.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Maybe we should be allowed to change our password to something that we already know and something that other people don't know and can't guess because at the moment we get a bunch of letters and numbers which makes it too easy for spammers and phishing to happen.
                  Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                  Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

I think the password system should generate random ASCII characters within the 0-9a-zA-Z range, and the whole "[email protected]#$%^&*()_+-=[]{}|\;:"'.,<>?/" thing...
                    Half the people here save their passwords to a file anyways, I'm almost sure of that.

Comment

Why a file and not something like Keepass?
                      @[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by BlueFlame View Post
                        Why a file and not something like Keepass?
                        I wouldn't know, probably cause they don't know about a program called 'Keepass,' such as myself?

Comment

I just have a page on my site called passwords.html, far easier way to keep all my passwords easily accessible.

(Joking, obviously.) Anyway, adding random symbols could help, though I don't think it's very likely people will be able to brute force the current passwords cost effectively.
                          - TomJames

Comment

Originally posted by TomJames View Post
                            I just have a page on my site called passwords.html, far easier way to keep all my passwords easily accessible.

(Joking, obviously.) Anyway, adding random symbols could help, though I don't think it's very likely people will be able to brute force the current passwords cost effectively.
                            (Not joking) In reality some people do this, although they might write it in word or notepad. As long as they password protect the file and store it in a removable flash drive they would have some protection. It's bad enough my own computers remember this stuff for me (remember me option) I'm leery of entrusting a third party somewhere on the web to store this data for me.

Comment

I'm so paranoid with my passwords that I keep them on sticky notes stuck to the inside of the door of my safe. I have pretty much a photographic memory, so I can remember the 30 or so that I need to get around, but occasionaly I do have to go look something up.

I landed in the hospital once and the wife had a need to get into some protected space for me, so I figured it just made sense to write them down somewhere, but her suggestion of sticky notes on the side of my monitor just didn't sit well with me. Unfortunately, she can't remember the combination to the safe, so she keeps the combination to the safe on a sticky note on the side of her monitor. DOH!
                              Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X