A nice suggestion I agree with by Razasharp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A nice suggestion I agree with by Razasharp

The reason why I don't think they are useless is because it lets you guys know what we'd like to see in a specific version. I have tonnes more suggestions but those in this thread are specifically for what I feel we 'need' in 3.8, as many of them go hand in hand.

For example, what good would it be incorporating all the most requested features if there are important related features that would render the most requested ones as close to 'broken' if omitted? A good example is Social Groups not having group threads. Can you see where I am coming from?

However I can see large roll-up threads could be a pain for devs to wade through if everyone posted their suggestions in the same thread, as they can get very long - however we need someway to say which features we feel are important for the next release, and which ones we feel we can wait for. Sometimes this only becomes clear after an announcement made by the devs.

Perhaps we can have sub forums in the suggestions section along with thread prefixes? Especially as vB has now evolved into more than just forums, and each area is as vitally important.

Sub Forums:

Forums
    Social Groups
    Albums
    Profiles

Prefixes:

Next release suggestion
    Next major release suggestion
    Please fix
    Improvement

etc

I'm more than happy to go with what works best for you guys Scott - I think that sub-forums and those prefixes could help categorise things and make users feel more in control of their suggestions whilst helping you guys see how important and urgent the suggestions are to us, and of course all neatly categorised and prioritised

PS - please feel free to change the title to 'My 3.8 Suggestions' so that it doesn't encourage others to put their suggestions in the same thread.
    He suggested the above way of organising the suggestions forum, but how about a bit of an expanded, better way? Like this:

Suggestions forum ->

1. Old Version Suggestions (sub forums for 2, 3, 3.5/3.6)
    2. Forum Core Suggestions (new features and such like for the forum itself.
    3. Forum Style Suggestions (styles, templates, base style, images, ways of using the style)
    4. Forum Addon Product Suggestions (CMS, Gallery, etc)
    5. Social Networking Suggestions (Social Groups, Albums, Visitor Messages, Tagging, etc)
    6. Server and Big Board Optimisation Suggestions (Integrate Sphinx, other database cores and various other stuff)

Then, you can have thread prefixes in each of them for:

1. Forum Core (same kind as mod categories on vBulletin.org)
    2. Forum add on product (CMS, Gallery, etc. Just for easy searching)
    3. Forum Style Suggestions (vBulletin default design, style/template engine, style, code enhancements)
    4.Social Networking Suggestions (Social Groups, Albums, Visitor Messages, Tagging, Other, New Component)
    5. Server and Big Board Optimisation (caching, alt databases, language formats, search enhancements, archiving improvements)

Now, I know there's about a 99.9999999999999% chance this will get shot down instantly for adding 'not necessary forums' or complicating the layout, but in this case, it would make it far, far easier to find relevant suggestions.

Who agrees?
    DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

I suggest we use the project tools which was built with this functionality in mind or so it seems.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
      I suggest we use the project tools which was built with this functionality in mind or so it seems.
      Unless I'm mistaken this was suggested earlier, but was decided against because the PT installation here is used almost exclusively internally by the staff? If that's not the case, I agree, let's use the PT, it's what it was intended for.
      Toddler from Hell

Comment

I believe PT is used by Staff to keep track of Feature Requests / Tasks.

Comment

IMO that's far too complicated.

Comment

Well it's currently extremely difficult to tell from what era the suggestions are from, so at least I'd want old suggestions archived into seperate forums.

Comment

Thing is many old suggestions still apply due to them not being included in previous versions.

Prefixes are the way forward I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                Thing is many old suggestions still apply due to them not being included in previous versions.

Prefixes are the way forward I would think.
                And we got our wish. Hooray!
                Thanks Jelsoft.
                Toddler from Hell

Comment

If we're going down just the prefixes route, I think we need a few more:

Social Groups
                  Profiles

I think both are vital in community orientated websites, hence warrant dedicated prefixes. (Although must say the current profiles are pretty much spot on already!)
                  What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

We are aware that the current prefixes being used are limited. It is likely that more will be added over the coming weeks.
                    Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

Yep, consider it a work in progress. vBulletin is too big to just flood the system all in one go and also at the same time go through threads and apply prefixes. We still prefer to give priority to pending support tickets to ensure everybody got the help they require.

Comment

While you are considering which prefixes to add, would you also consider implementing a similar system for the suggestion sections of the addons as well?
                        Toddler from Hell

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
                          We are aware that the current prefixes being used are limited. It is likely that more will be added over the coming weeks.
                          Originally posted by Floris View Post
                          Yep, consider it a work in progress. vBulletin is too big to just flood the system all in one go and also at the same time go through threads and apply prefixes. We still prefer to give priority to pending support tickets to ensure everybody got the help they require.
                          Glad you're on it

Although I would say make a fresh start - it would be too time consuming adding prefixes to all the old threads.

Edit: I think we need one for 'tags' too.

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
                          While you are considering which prefixes to add, would you also consider implementing a similar system for the suggestion sections of the addons as well?
                          Good idea
                          Last edited by Razasharp; Sat 16 Aug '08, 5:19am.
                          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

It should be noted that we have gone back in the suggestion forum up to 3 years to prefix certain topics. This takes a lot of time to do. It requires reading each thread, determining the most appropriate prefix and then finding the next thread.

The prefixes being used are determined by what we consider a feature system in vBulletin. As the addons are considered a single feature system at this time, they don't really need prefixes. This may change in the future.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I like the prefixes now. Seems like something has finally been done to fix the organisation problem.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X