Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it Illegal if someone is posting stuff about you in there forum?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Illegal if someone is posting stuff about you in there forum?

Lately in a forum im a member of people are talking about me in a mean and very rude way and i was wondering if it is illegal because i PM'd a Admin there and they are not doing nothing to stop it.

I highly doubt it. If you don't like the community I suggest you find another .

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron217 View Post
      Lately in a forum im a member of people are talking about me in a mean and very rude way and i was wondering if it is illegal because i PM'd a Admin there and they are not doing nothing to stop it.
      Unless they are disclosing confidential information about you, then no. Name calling and the Internet go hand in hand sadly.

Comment

There's a lot of different things to go by, so depending on what is actually said, it differs.

If they're planning to kill you, or planning to harm you physically, the members are breaking criminal law, the administrators are under obligation to provide assistance to you if you should seek help from the authorities.

If they're making fradulent claims about your business practice, the members are breaking civil law, but the administrator are under no obligation to do provide you with any information until settled in court. Seek business lawyer, and they can give you better advices on what to do.

If they're posting photos of your daily life, or your physical mailing address for home, work or school (IE: not a po box), then it could be invasion of privacy. Seek a general lawyer, and they can give you better advices on what to do.

If they're just talking ****, and name calling, there's pretty much nothing you can do aside from leave the forum and ignore it.

Bottom line is, you are only exposed to it if you choose to let it to. If you provided your personal information online publicly, and they found it, then there's nothing you can do about it. If you are participating the discussion there, and they're bad mouthing you, you're under no obligation to stay and read what they have to say.
        Best Regards,
        Andy Huang

Comment

This is what was posted. They got my first & last name & my town because it is a yardsale website. They used this info to track down my address. They posted my address, phone number & used other info gleaned from membership in the group to locate my 13 year old's myspace account & asked her to add them. They posted her MySpace account in this public forum as well. They were fully aware of her age.
          Is there anything I can do? The administration deleted the info off the site but everyone already had it by that time. Lawyers are expensive & I am not out to get their money. I just think some type of "punishment" is in order. I am not the only one that has had this happen. I know of at least two others that they posted personal info on.

"hahahaha... omg.. I'll poison your goats, and kill your chickens, and murder your family!"

Comment

That can be classified as a threat. The police can help you with that.

Comment

Yeah, that does sound a bit OTT really =/

Comment

I'd definitely get them done for that kind of comment. It's probably a 12 year old, but it'd teach them some important life-lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by TNgirl View Post
                  This is what was posted. They got my first & last name & my town because it is a yardsale website. They used this info to track down my address. They posted my address, phone number & used other info gleaned from membership in the group to locate my 13 year old's myspace account & asked her to add them. They posted her MySpace account in this public forum as well. They were fully aware of her age.
                  Is there anything I can do? The administration deleted the info off the site but everyone already had it by that time. Lawyers are expensive & I am not out to get their money. I just think some type of "punishment" is in order. I am not the only one that has had this happen. I know of at least two others that they posted personal info on.

"hahahaha... omg.. I'll poison your goats, and kill your chickens, and murder your family!"
                  Multiple levels of invasion of privacy and threat to personal well beings. Please report to police as soon as possible. If they are using a vBulletin forum (they may have been using it illegally), please let us know the URL to their forum via this form: http://www.vbulletin.com/piracy.php Please include links to where they're posting those things in the additional information field, and let us know that they're issuing threats to your personal well beings. Our anti-piracy / licensing department will try to take them down if they deem it as a violation to our license agreement. We are not internet police, and we cannot provide any guarantee that what we do may turn their site down for good. But we do try to help where applicable / possible.

It may be obvious, but if you do have goats and chickens, please be sure to keep them safe inside their barn or where ever you keep them at night
                  Last edited by Andy Huang; Wed 9th Jul '08, 1:57pm.
                  Best Regards,
                  Andy Huang

Comment

I did follow your advice & got a police report. I am working with the site administrator to get their legal names instead of screen names. The police need that info so I sent that to the admin. Once they get it they may go to the military police as the women who wrote this all live on Post. It was not in this forum that it happened. I just came across the question while doing research. I think the women involved will be getting warnings to stay away from my property & us. We have a big dog that roams free on our property so the animals should be safe at night. I appreciate everyone's advice & the quick way you all got back with me. I feel better now that I have taken action. The police can't do much yet but if anything is ever vandalized, killed or we are ever approached by anyone....then it is in the system as ongoing harrassment. The MP's on Post will have a fit. They take a dim view of harrassment.
                    Again......thank you all!!!

Comment

Our web site is not to be used for this. For legal advise please contact a local legal agent.

Comment

Forum admin may not have the user's real name... I have a small forum with just a bit over 6K users, and around 20 to 30 new registrations daily... I don't have a single one of them's name, and in all honesty, I don't want it either.

The admin might be able to release you their IP address, related users, and maybe if the admin's really technical, their regular behaviours (IE: when they logon, etc.). But those information depends on how technical the admin is, and whether or not they're coorporative. All the best of luck in this, and be sure to keep in touch with the legal officials to keep yourself protected.
                        Best Regards,
                        Andy Huang

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X