vBulletin Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kier View Post
    To us, the question of 'can you upgrade' is not so interesting as 'what are you running'. Whether or not someone can upgrade is largely irrelevant to us.

We can not assume that a person will upgrade, just because they can. Case in point, if it's easy for you to upgrade from your nasty 4.x versions of PHP and MySQL, why have you not already done so?
    I think problem is many users don't see the advantages of upgrading when none of their scripts require software upgrade. Many people don't know what benefits come from using php 5.2.x for example compared to php4 when using vBulletin mainly because vBulletin only requires php4. A bit like how some people refuse to upgrade their vBulletin software mainly because there are no security bugs fixed in the version up from theirs or no new features so they deem it pointless.

I myself like to use the latest software avaliable when possible and I agree one is able to upgrade, should have done so a while ago. I am also pretty sure if a user was told "vBulletin 4.0 requires php 5.2" now for example, they will seek out their options etc and those purchasing new licenses etc, will make sure their hosting offers 5.2 so they are ready for 4.0 (a bit like with Vista how new laptops/PCs had "Vista ready" etc logos so people knew their new purchase will last them a while before they have to worry").

Comment

Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
      mainly because vBulletin only requires php4
      That's true, but we've long recommended PHP 5.2 and only mentioned PHP 4.3.3 as 'required'.
      Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
      ...if a user was told "vBulletin 4.0 requires php 5.2" now for example, they will seek out their options...
      Here's some informal advance warning then...

Comment

ISPs will be moving to PHP5 come this summer when PHP4 is officially EOLed.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
          ISPs will be moving to PHP5 come this summer when PHP4 is officially EOLed.
          Except many companies calling themselves Hosting Providers are simply resellers and don't have the expertise to upgrade their software.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Nice to see the survey, but really not one to base decisions about PHP5+ or not for vb4.

As Dream said what you really need to ask is if people can/or will upgrade to it.

If you look at this poll: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248968 at least 10% of those with php4 can or will upgrade to php5 when needed.

In addition, many of us are using PHP4 because it is recommended for vB! I was told to downgrade to php4 myself.

If 5.2 is now preferred over 4 then I will do the upgrade tonight!

You really need to start a new section for user-feeback, then you need to email all customers to let them know they are invited to participate. Do auto-adminCP surveys too, but it would be nothing short of madness to base any decisions on them alone.
            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

We've been using PHP 5 since October 2006. If it was a recommendation to use PHP 4 then it must have been an older version of vBulletin.

At the moment we're intending to use PHP 5, we're just trying to pick what the minimum version should be and the survey results are showing that most people are using PHP 5.

33% are using use PHP 4
              9% are using PHP 5.0 - 5.1.6
              58% are using PHP 5.2+
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                In addition, many of us are using PHP4 because it is recommended for vB! I was told to downgrade to php4 myself.
                vBulletin 2.X requires PHP 4. vBulletin 3 is in the middle. We have recommended PHP 5.X since 3.6 was released though.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Suggestion: Can the recommended php/mysql versions be added to the release announcements?

The 3.6.8 announcement mentions that PHP4 is EOL and recommended that users upgraded to PHP5 but it seemed more of a "hey upgrade because php4 is not supported" rather than a "hey upgrade because php4 is not supported and you'll get better performance out of vb"

The announcements for 3.60, 3.6.2, 3.64, 3.6.5 and 3.6.6 only have the minimum version of php/mysql required. Not the recommended versions.

Thank you in advance for considering this
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Most stable announcements seem to have this, plus there's a public features.php page where it is mentioned, and prior to download there's a note before you agree to the EULA in the members' area.

The min. requirement is more important to mention. Since the 'latest stable' of WAMP/LAMP setup is recommended. So we mention which min. version, and everything over it is ok to use. And of course, the latest stable of those branches are recommended.

here are a few examples:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265285
                    vBulletin 3.6.9

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237919
                    vBulletin 3.6.8

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229448
                    vBulletin 3.6.6

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221905
                    vBulletin 3.6.5

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209717
                    vBulletin 3.6.4

http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php

http://members.vbulletin.com > download vbulletin

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      Except many companies calling themselves Hosting Providers are simply resellers and don't have the expertise to upgrade their software.
                      It's why I said ISPs and not Hosting Providers
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                        It's why I said ISPs and not Hosting Providers
                        Said ISPs will not upgrade dedicated servers that they lease out.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar View Post
                          We've been using PHP 5 since October 2006. If it was a recommendation to use PHP 4 then it must have been an older version of vBulletin.
                          Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          vBulletin 2.X requires PHP 4. vBulletin 3 is in the middle. We have recommended PHP 5.X since 3.6 was released though.
                          It was Dec06:

you still using vB 3.5.4 ? as you need to update to vB 3.5.7 at least if you plan to use PHP 5.2.0... downgrade to PHP 4.4.4 or 5.1.6 and see how it goes
                          Although at the time I was using 3.6.4 - yet downgrading to PHP4 sorted out the problems :-/

Yeah for me PHP 4.4.4 seems to have least problems from all the support issues I've handled
                          Right now I'm at the latest stable 4. I'll go 5.2 tonight and see how things go tomorrow...

At the moment we're intending to use PHP 5, we're just trying to pick what the minimum version should be and the survey results are showing that most people are using PHP 5.

33% are using use PHP 4
                          58% are using PHP 5.2+
                          From those stats I'd say 5.2 is fine, as I guess the majority of other users will be happy to upgrade - esp as vB is the main componant or most server intensive, in many peoples sites. But you guys really do need a proper feedback section (where you guys start threads and ask for input), you are missing out on valuable input from your users otherwise.
                          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

33% are using use PHP 4
                            58% are using PHP 5.2+
                            Those results are looking very promising so far!

I think as long as advanced warning is given on what version vB 4.0 is using, then even those on php 4.x or 5.x, then they are all able to upgrade to the latest version (or at least the minimium verson to run vB 4.0).

We use the latest versions of php/mysql and always have done so .
                            Last edited by ---MAD---; Sun 13 Apr '08, 4:43am.

Comment

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                              It was Dec06:

Although at the time I was using 3.6.4 - yet downgrading to PHP4 sorted out the problems :-/

Right now I'm at the latest stable 4. I'll go 5.2 tonight and see how things go tomorrow...

From those stats I'd say 5.2 is fine, as I guess the majority of other users will be happy to upgrade - esp as vB is the main componant or most server intensive, in many peoples sites. But you guys really do need a proper feedback section (where you guys start threads and ask for input), you are missing out on valuable input from your users otherwise.
                              Actually I remember this now.

There was a few performance issues with PHP 5.2.0 and 5.2.1, mostly down to the new memory manager that needed a few tweaks.

Regardless of what was said in the past the latest PHP 5.2 is what we're recommending for customers.
                              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Survey? What survey? I would be happy to give my feedback?
                                http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
                                The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X