Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[pw change] Who do you think you are, really!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    The impression I'm getting is very interesting. It seems that the root of all the complaints are really stemming from one primary cause. The lack of the owner to properly maintain his/her end of the bargain. See, this is what I'm hearing:
    • The owner of said license fails to update his/her email because he/she forgets or it's too much of a hassle. This is vBulletin's fault.
    I for one did not say this was vBulletin's fault. HOWEVER, a warning before changing a password, or hell, even a yearly "update information", would have been extremely helpful to prevent this.
    Originally posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    • The owner of said license fails to provide his/her site admins the necessary tools to properly maintain access to the Members area, either deliberately or because he/she simply didn't think about it. This is also vBulletin's fault.
    I have proper access to the members area. I do NOT however, have access to her e-mail account to which all vB correspondence goes to. NOR should I have access to HER e-mail!
    Doesn't mean I think that is vBulletin's fault. I do think the "allowed" support should also receive such e-mails though. (IF In the right "list" in members area)
    • The owner of said license is difficult or near impossible to contact, due either to neglect, or because he/she didn't think it would be necessary to be available for emergencies. Perhaps thinking that these kind of emergencies don't exist. Again, this is vBulletin's fault.
    Again, much the same as above.
    **SNIP**
    Really though, I do believe in some of these cases it is a 50/50 split responsibility. If they really are changing password just to be "updated" more secure in the future ... WHAT is the harm in an e-mail AND announcement stating "In x days/weeks/whatever we are going to be making some changes to the security features. You have until then to make sure you have all contact information up to date"?

Doesn't seem hard.

IF this was because of a breach in security/passwords/whatever? Then FINE, at least be a bit more understanding. Maybe even keep some sort of "Is allowed access" list that is searchable and updated constantly. *shrugs*

Comment

• Originally posted by ShadyNight View Post
      [/LIST]I for one did not say this was vBulletin's fault. HOWEVER, a warning before changing a password, or hell, even a yearly "update information", would have been extremely helpful to prevent this.[/LIST]I have proper access to the members area. I do NOT however, have access to her e-mail account to which all vB correspondence goes to. NOR should I have access to HER e-mail!
      Doesn't mean I think that is vBulletin's fault. I do think the "allowed" support should also receive such e-mails though. (IF In the right "list" in members area)

Again, much the same as above.

Really though, I do believe in some of these cases it is a 50/50 split responsibility. If they really are changing password just to be "updated" more secure in the future ... WHAT is the harm in an e-mail AND announcement stating "In x days/weeks/whatever we are going to be making some changes to the security features. You have until then to make sure you have all contact information up to date"?

Doesn't seem hard.

IF this was because of a breach in security/passwords/whatever? Then FINE, at least be a bit more understanding. Maybe even keep some sort of "Is allowed access" list that is searchable and updated constantly. *shrugs*
      Nor was I addressing you specifically, nor was I suggesting that you did blame vBulletin. I was addressing the overall tenor of the thread. No one specifically, other then the part where I quoted the original poster.

Ultimately, little, if any, responsibility fell to you if I'm remembering your posts correctly, since you were not the owner of the license. This information was squarely and fairly the responsibility of the owner to make certain it was up-to-date. Otherwise, all kinds of information can be missed, like software updates patching security vulnerabilities, notification of suspicious activity or getting your password changed.

I would agree that it were a 50/50 spilt responsibility, if this were a relationship. But it's not that kind of deal. This is a company who's services we're paying for and agreeing to abide by their TOS, which can change without prior notification. These things happen, and even if it was inconvenient, it isn't necessarily inappropriate or unjust. The thing about being notified in advanced, is that you may give notification to the very people you didn't want knowing about the password change to being with. Kind of like letting the guy who stole your credit card what your new pin number is.
      sigpic

Comment

• Naw, did think you were pointing to me specifically. Just putting in my 2 cents, for what that's worth these days. ~_^

*shrugs* either way, just glad our situation is sorted, and hope that if this does happen in the future we can be forewarned, updated or not.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X