Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[pw change] Who do you think you are, really!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
    In the near future I will need to change my email, as I am going to another isp and hope I will be able to or I will be in a pickle... I am going into support and see if I am allowed to do this now instead of waiting down the road.
    Yes, you can go and start a support ticket requesting to have your email changed to something else. After verification you're customer account will then be updated. If you decide to change it later and your current email has then expired we will request other info, such as purchase details and/or current account details.

Comment

Originally posted by EdQ View Post
      I didn't expect to be locked out of an account I had access to.
      You can contact support via [email protected] with your new email. We will then request to verify that you're the owner by providing the details as you have them and some additional info such as purchase details. After verification we will update the address.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadyNight View Post
        While I have no problem with the changed e-mail, or the inability to change said password (never could, who cares)... I am a bit disappointed in the lack of notice. It's really messed me up. My e-mail was a dead one (forgot I hadn't changed it).

Hopefully "owner" gets response and new e-mail soon. *sigh*
        You can contact support from the new email and we can help assist you to change your email address and gain access back to your account.

Comment

Why is there not an option though to make this an automated process, where a person can change their email address themselves without having to put a support ticket forward. And then just click an activation link sent too them to activate the new email.

This doesn't bother me. But I'm just wondering why this doesn't work the same way the forum does using this method? As this would save support a lot of work changing peoples email addresses manually.

Comment

Every customer situation is different, sometimes we need an explanation, or verify if it is a customer email update, a company internal change, or actually a transfer request, etc. I've posted some suggestions in the internal PT about automating a few of the steps to speed things up. But there are too many exceptions for the current system to make it automated probably, especially since we have distributors like vbgermany, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              You can contact support from the new email and we can help assist you to change your email address and gain access back to your account.
              I did that (had/have a support ticket). Was told "owner" needs to contact them.

She working on it, but with a full time job and a life (whatever that is. ~_^) I could be waiting on her response about your (vb's) response, for another day or more.

O_o did that make ANY sense? heh

Comment

So the problem isn't on our end. Yes, the owner of the license has to get access, others who she shares it with is her responsibility, and her job to share the new details with you again.

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                  Why is there not an option though to make this an automated process, where a person can change their email address themselves without having to put a support ticket forward. And then just click an activation link sent too them to activate the new email.
                  There used to be an option to do this. However it allowed license theft to occur and was removed.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

You can contact support via [email protected] with your new email. We will then request to verify that you're the owner by providing the details as you have them and some additional info such as purchase details. After verification we will update the address.
                    I am not the owner, I am the admin for the site I run for him.

He is out of touch months at a time and now I am stuck on a beta version of VBB. So when you guys go gold. I cannot upgrade.

I have been with your company for many years now and this has never happened.
                    http://www.ls1.com
                    http://www.lsxspeed.com

Comment

So the problem isn't on our end. Yes, the owner of the license has to get access, others who she shares it with is her responsibility, and her job to share the new details with you again.
                      It is a problem since the passwords were changed without the owners permission.

Comment

Owning a license only gives you access to the members area, not ownership of the area, so by rights they can brute-force password changes every day if they decide to, to protect their investment and yours. In fact, most software company's today do not even have such an area: you buy their software, they email you a download link. If you need to download it again, well, too bad, unless you pay a fee to do so. Frankly I am surprised vB still offer's a member's area that grants you unlimited downloads as this costs them money in resources and bandwidth.

Why would you install beta software then? You created the problem for yourself, not vB.

Comment

Originally posted by EdQ View Post

He is out of touch months at a time and now I am stuck on a beta version of VBB. So when you guys go gold. I cannot upgrade.

I have been with your company for many years now and this has never happened.
                          To be honest, if your running a site for a person that goes missing for months at a time without anyway of contacting him such as a "mobile phone" number for emergency situations like this. I really don't understand why you even bother running a site for him, as he's obviously not that bothered about it.

And it "IS" a simple lack of communication on his part thats at fault here - and it's not vB's place to take any blame for that fact. Let's face it, how hard would it be for him to give you a mobile number to contact?
                          Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 15th Feb '08, 8:15am.

Comment

Originally posted by DoE View Post
                            Owning a license only gives you access to the members area, not ownership of the area, so by rights they can brute-force password changes every day if they decide to, to protect their investment and yours. In fact, most software company's today do not even have such an area: you buy their software, they email you a download link. If you need to download it again, well, too bad, unless you pay a fee to do so. Frankly I am surprised vB still offer's a member's area that grants you unlimited downloads as this costs them money in resources and bandwidth.

Why would you install beta software then? You created the problem for yourself, not vB.
                            I am pretty sure the support fee I have been paying for years gives me access to that area.

As for the software being beta, all software is really beta.
                            If it wasn't, you would never need a patch.

I don't agree with you. VB started the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                              To be honest, if your running a site for a person that goes missing for months at a time without anyway of contacting him such as a "mobile phone" number for emergency situations like this. I really don't understand why you even bother running a site for him, as he's obviously not that bothered about it.

And it "IS" a simple lack of communication on his part thats at fault here - and it's not vB's place to take any blame for that fact. Let's face it, how hard would it be for him to give you a mobile number to contact?
                              Actually I run the site for the members.

Regardless if I can or cannot contact the owner. VB changed the password not us.

Comment

Na, you said and I quote:

He is out of touch months at a time
                                So you have to respect the fact your problem lies with both you and the site owner. If you had a mobile phone number for him, you could have contacted him the same day the password was changed to resolve your problem. The fact you have not taken step to have a way to contact each other like this, knowing fully well you don't see him for months at a time is not vB's fault, but your own fault
                                Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 15th Feb '08, 8:26am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X