• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MsJacquiiC
    replied
    Originally posted by Tikitiki View Post
    I would post more if this was Babe of the month
    LOL - But it's not Babe of the Month - If it was I'd prolly still like to see a better and enhanced Babe of the Month, because it's not only about the boobs IMHO :P LOL

BTW - have YOU voted in the BOTM competition? Have you voted in past BOTM competitions? Have you ever entered your forum in the BOTM competition? AND What do you think about the current BOTM competition? ROFL --- Trying to get the babe of your mind with a few good questions

Jacquii.

Leave a comment:

• Tikitiki
    replied
    I would post more if this was Babe of the month

Leave a comment:

• MsJacquiiC
    replied
    Thanx FLORIS for your commentary - It's nice how you explain the "concept" - Then I think perhaps I take the "contest" and the competition too seriously - Generally I'm a laidback type of person - but this BOTM competition has touched a nerve. I see it as a resourceful way to REALLY showcase the best vBulletin has to offer, but at the same time I feel the contest has fallen a bit short of my own personal expectations in the past months....

With that said - I'm glad you think this thread has the possibility of enhancing the competition, making it more fare for all whom choose to enter.

Your post really gave me pause and I'm sure I will come back and read it again with a fresh "conscience" (as it is) and really appreciate it much more. It's interesting hearing from an vB.com Administrator on this topic.

thanx,

JAcquii.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    The "Board" of the month competition is about the web site running a vBulletin powered community. Other customers on this web site can go to the 5 web sites and take a look, get introduced to the different ways site owners use vBulletin. This could be a unique type of discussion topic, or the way they integrated it with their normal site. Or perhaps the way it visually looks over another site. Or how it appeals to you (or not) compared to the other sites. So yes, content matters, visuals matter, and the userbase matters, to just name a few. All in all, it is PER user who's voting to go "From these forums this number X on the list appeals to me the most, based on my experience browsing it". Meaning they're free to vote for that particular entry, and a reason doesn't have to be given. Not everybody votes for 'just the looks', or 'because he or she is a famous person', or 'they run the coolest mod ever'. And therefore it's not about 'Style of the month', or 'Community of the month', but more generic 'Board of the Month'. It is clear that some boards who got nominated and made it on the list are default installations, or super customized forums, or perhaps someone spend $500 on a custom design, where another person perhaps is more known because they spend $500 on advertising it all over the internet. If the boards would not be unique in their own way there would not be a reason to put them in the list, if they were all default vB setups with default vB styles, and the same handful of users. After all, it's not 'Statistics of the Month' either. If a style is more appealing then another style, because someone had the time and money to invest into a developer to make it more unique, good for them. It doesn't mean they would not qualify as board of the month, and the same goes for someone who spend hour and years on developing a community and is well known and perhaps has a great userbase, and that's why they might get more votes, good for them, for being recognized.

But in the end it are the customers of vBulletin who have the opportunity to nominate a board, others to second it, and the staff to pick out randomly a handful of boards that others could vote for. And it are the customers who provide the review by going to those sites and then thinking "I think I like this one best", and submit that with a vote.

We understand some of the arguments customers provide back to us in regards to the competition, and over the last few months it seems that bickering over votes is a problem. I will bring the contest to the staffs attention and if we believe that the users participating are simply ruining the experience of having a fun poll, then we might just decide to call it quits. Of course we hope that everybody can get along and is not disgruntled over votes, the competition in the list, and refrains from personally attacking eachother with smart*ss comments and whatnot.

On a personal level I vote for a site that looks appealing, meaning it is visually appealing as well as easy to navigation and logical to use. As well as for the way they perhaps integrated it into their general site design, and have approached using vBulletin in a more unique way, so they stand out and are easy to recognize as a 'brand'. As well as if they appear to have a good community, and are having a fun time on their board. I usually vote thinking to myself "Would I register and become a member on this site if this was a topic I would be interested in?"

I really like the botm competition here on vBulletin.com, and I think it is a great way to get others introduced to 'what can be done with vBulletin that others think was worth noticing'. It would be a shame if we find people fighting over it as happens some months where some staff felt like just closing the thread and deleting the posts of the people who are personally attacking eachother and ruining a fun competition.

This thread and other feedback with constructive feedback is appreciated and will be reviewed internally.

Leave a comment:

• MsJacquiiC
    replied
    Originally posted by Discussions View Post
    I would like to see a rule where if an administrator complains or attacks previous BOTM winners, and his/her forum is up for votes - that forum gets taken off of the BOTM contest.
    Interesting - thanx for adding a suggestion FINALLY
    At anyrate - generally the only reason someone complains is when there is something genuinely wrong with the system... Mostly the complaint is open for interpretation - which would kinda make your rule suggestion a little silly.

Jacquii.

Leave a comment:

• MsJacquiiC
    replied
    Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
    Why did I ever started responding to BOTM , as I do not think I ever cared before... Must be some potshots I was reading and then I got pulled in. Still really need 'Best for Content', but then I should remember why I should stay away from voting.. well I do not need to stay away from voting, just responding in a poll.
    Hmmm - interesting question "Why did I ever start responding to BOTM" ---- I begin to think I should have just shut up - But for some reason my fingers and keyboard didn't quite agree with my brain about the "shut up" factor LOL

Jacquii.

Leave a comment:

• MsJacquiiC
    replied
    So, in other words it is okay for you to attack communities that you have a problem with, but it is not okay for someone to point out what is wrong with your own community?

I wasn't flaming - I was stating the truth.

Flaming is kind of what you have been doing here at BOTM, & over at your own forum. Talking bad about the contest, the posters and some of the previous winners of the BOTM. That shows a childish nature.

DUDE - I was not attacking anyone's forum - I simply started a conversation about DESIGN and why such a PAID design would make a forum BOTM? YOU on the other hand are flaming like some old southbeach queen - THIS THREAD is about suggesting creative ideas about how to better BOTM "contest" - instead of suggesting ideas you have the audacity to critique my Forum - I didn't ask you to critique a damn thing - How childish is that?!?!?!? Personally I wish you would shut the **** up and stay out of this thread unless you have something constructive to suggest about how to make BOTM a better type of contest that is all-inclusive for the Members that participate.

Speaking of which: http://imaginativeworlds.com/forum/index.php --- Is this your ugly creature? AND have YOU ever participated in BOTM as a "contestant" -- OR are you simply in the business of flaming people with different ideals than yours?

Also - This doesn't belong at vBulletin.org as it does not center around the BOTM of vBulletin.org. I'm not even sure it should be allowed on vBulletin.com for the original poster of this thread has shown nothing but disrespect to BOTM and some of the previous winners.

This is where you ARE wrong - on vB.org there has been a lot of people who have shown distaste for the contest. And a lot more who actually agree with my stance that the BOTM contest is nothing short of a Popularity contest - and especially for vBulletin-themed boards.... There was even one "winner" who (for the reason of entering the contest) wrote "Every other vB forum/board has won at least once, thought Id give it a try" --- That particular board won BOTM on both vB.com AND vB.org = http://www.vbcoderz.com --- Question: Is that board in your opinion "Best of the Best" OR do you need bifocals?

BOTM stands for whatever a person thinks it should stand for. And for me, it is design. To others, it may be about design and content. Very few will ever choose on content alone.

Design is a major factor.
    Content is a secondary factor.

1st post I wrote:
    In my opinion a Board of the Month contest would specifically address issues of building, sustaining & maintaning a Community AND the Community's content, rather than simply being about "design" - and thus my suggestion to rename the contest - or simply admit that it's a farce.

Perhaps you don't understand my "issue" at all - Seems you're actually agree that BOTM is in fact a misnomer LOL - And of course in the 1st post I never said anything about design being taken out of the equation - Re-read it and understand...

At anyrate - That's nice. That's the way you feel - Then you have nothing to constructively add to this thread? You like BOTM as it is? Then I will constructively say your point has been made. This thread --- and surely you can read the title --- is entitled Feedback & Suggestions Regarding BOTM Competition. If you have no suggestions of how to better the contest - Then shuddup please!
    Jacquii.

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    Why did I ever started responding to BOTM , as I do not think I ever cared before... Must be some potshots I was reading and then I got pulled in. Still really need 'Best for Content', but then I should remember why I should stay away from voting.. well I do not need to stay away from voting, just responding in a poll.

Leave a comment:

• Comtech
    replied
    It still a thread for suggestion and not to vent your views about what you think about another member. I still rather see more 'Best of the Best' what ever prize, then what is now available.
    I really wasn't venting.
    I only replied as a comment I made was quoted.

Anyways back on topic.

I really see no problem with the way BOTM is being ran or how it has been ran since its conception. Most people really don't have a problem with it either. Only those administrators who want their board to be "seen" would even enter their forum into a contest like this.

Then, when they are being told how their design isn't up to standards they complain. I would like to see a rule where if an administrator complains or attacks previous BOTM winners, and his/her forum is up for votes - that forum gets taken off of the BOTM contest.

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    It still a thread for suggestion and not to vent your views about what you think about another member. I still rather see more 'Best of the Best' what ever prize, then what is now available.

Leave a comment:

• Comtech
    replied

It was a suggestion ask, until one post.
    Let me see - she quoted something I said and I don't have the right to comment?

In my honest opinion, she is nothing more or less than a trouble maker. Plus she pretty much invited everyone from the BOTM thread over here.

Leave a comment:

• Comtech
    replied
    Originally posted by MsJacquiiC View Post

My apologies - I will not let that happen again - I was just taken aback that my thread gets flamed by poster #2 practically before I even hit the Submit button....

Jacquii.
    So, in other words it is okay for you to attack communities that you have a problem with, but it is not okay for someone to point out what is wrong with your own community?

I wasn't flaming - I was stating the truth.

Flaming is kind of what you have been doing here at BOTM, & over at your own forum. Talking bad about the contest, the posters and some of the previous winners of the BOTM. That shows a childish nature.

Also - This doesn't belong at vBulletin.org as it does not center around the BOTM of vBulletin.org. I'm not even sure it should be allowed on vBulletin.com for the original poster of this thread has shown nothing but disrespect to BOTM and some of the previous winners.

BOTM stands for whatever a person thinks it should stand for. And for me, it is design. To others, it may be about design and content. Very few will ever choose on content alone.

Design is a major factor.
    Content is a secondary factor.

It is like a comic book, you can have the best story in the world and yet have a terrible artist and nobody will ever pick that book up. On the other hand you can have a crappy storyline and a great artist, and the book sells millions.

Create a cool factor and the rest follows in line.
    Last edited by Comtech; Tue 13 Nov '07, 5:34am.

Leave a comment:

• MsJacquiiC
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
    This should be discussed over at vBulletin.org and not here.
    Absolutely!

This is a suggestion forum and not rip someones work apart....
    Yeppers - so I thought I'd make a suggestion...
    ACTUALLY thought of another suggestion that would make the BOTM or DOTM (( cheeky grin )) contests more fair = ALLOW votes to be seen by ALL

Originally posted by Floris View Post
    I very strongly suggest you refrain from uncalled comments like that. Unless you desire to receive an infraction for your posting behaviour and see these threads closed.

Respect the forum rules, they are here for a reason.
    My apologies - I will not let that happen again - I was just taken aback that my thread gets flamed by poster #2 practically before I even hit the Submit button....

So yes - Apologies AND understood!

Jacquii.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    And you eat donkey balls....
    I very strongly suggest you refrain from uncalled comments like that. Unless you desire to receive an infraction for your posting behaviour and see these threads closed.

Respect the forum rules, they are here for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied

Content does matter. But not in a design contest.

If BOTM is about design then content has no place and to me, BOTM is about design.
    Then it should go to the creator of the style, if you go by what you are saying.

This is a suggestion forum and not rip someones work apart. I rather see more strict guidelines and or another for overall design & content by forum members. You can alway ask s.molinari to add another type over BOTM or just make it more strict to qualification on what can be nominated.

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
    This should be discussed over at vBulletin.org and not here.
    It was a suggestion ask, until one post.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X