Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you enable the search string "RSS" here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Acrobat View Post
    It's a simple change...my gawd, why all the hand-wringing over a bad implementation decision? Just fix it already. Having the ability to do fulltext searches on three character words is a necessity.
    Actually our developers have said the entire process could take several days. Days in which none of the vBulletin websites or services would be available.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    The site feedback has been read and reviewed, since we're not getting along fine, this thread is now closed to prevent further back&forth.

Leave a comment:

• Acrobat
    replied
    Originally posted by Dilly View Post
    You really are a goose. I never said it wasn't possible. I said it wasn't feasible - echoing what vbulletin staff themselves have admitted.

But you know better than the staff, don't you...

lol
    I apparently know better than YOU.

This is a poor implementation decision which CAN be corrected for a positive result.

Just fix it already.

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    You really are a goose. I never said it wasn't possible. I said it wasn't feasible - echoing what vbulletin staff themselves have admitted.

But you know better than the staff, don't you...

lol

Leave a comment:

• Acrobat
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    We use mysql fulltext searching, we would have to stop mysql, change its configuration, dump ALL of our mysql fulltext searching indexies and rebuild them. Not just for vBulletin.com's forums, our ticket system, vBulletin.org, etc.

...which would be a worthwhile and valuable use of time and compute resources.

It's a simple change...my gawd, why all the hand-wringing over a bad implementation decision? Just fix it already. Having the ability to do fulltext searches on three character words is a necessity.

Of course, Dilly would rather stand and watch Rome burn whilst fiddling before he'd admit it is possible (and worth the effort).

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You can force the system into a Natural Language search by using quotes around your search phrase. So instead of searching for:

RSS Feed

Search for:
    "RSS FEED"

You will get results for the second entry. You can also specify wildcards such as RSS* or PHP* to search. However both of these take longer for results and wildcard searches may not be very accurate. It is better to create these on the advanced search page and set it to sort by relevancy instead of last posting date.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by R1lover View Post
    Switch back to the standard search function.

I had no clue it was so involved...
    That could also take days.

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    You were joking, right?

Leave a comment:

• R1lover
    replied
    Switch back to the standard search function.

I had no clue it was so involved...

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by Mazinger View Post
    If it's just a matter of down time, how long could this take?
    A few days possibly.

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    Many hours.

Leave a comment:

• Mazinger
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    We use mysql fulltext searching, we would have to stop mysql, change its configuration, dump ALL of our mysql fulltext searching indexies and rebuild them. Not just for vBulletin.com's forums, our ticket system, vBulletin.org, etc.
    If it's just a matter of down time, how long could this take?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by R1lover View Post
    It's a simple change in the options... so I'm clueless why they leave it at 4.

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    Actually it's not. It requires downtime and rebuilding all fulltext indexes.

Leave a comment:

• R1lover
    replied
    It's a simple change in the options... so I'm clueless why they leave it at 4.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X