Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for vBulletin Administrators

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question for vBulletin Administrators

    Do members have the right to have their account removed/cancel from a vBulletin Forum?

    I'm asking this because the forum I'm referring to has no 'Delete Account' option.

    I am not looking to get an account deleted, I'm just curious. And giving a feedback, but looking for an answer.

    Thanks!
    Welcome, Paul..
    You last visited: Sat 21st Jul '07 at 2:37am

  • #2
    There is no delete button on vbulletin forums unless the administrators of a forum add it by modifying the original coding. I dont really see the need for members to delete their accounts, if they dont want to use the forum, they just dont need to visit again .

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, but they will still have your email address. I know you can uncheck the option to receive emails from the Administrators but I'm sure if you want your membership canceled for whatever reason, then it should be deleted off the message board?
      Welcome, Paul..
      You last visited: Sat 21st Jul '07 at 2:37am

      Comment


      • #4
        You will need to contact a lawyer in your area to determine if you have such a 'right' or not. Thiis is a legal question and the answer depends on the governing laws in your location.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

        Steve Machol Photography


        Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          You will need to contact a lawyer in your area to determine if you have such a 'right' or not. This is a legal question and the answer depends on the governing laws in your location.
          Are there not internet laws? Lol.

          I'm really just curious because I've seen forums where you can cancel your own account...


          And thanks for those who've replied and read this.
          Welcome, Paul..
          You last visited: Sat 21st Jul '07 at 2:37am

          Comment


          • #6
            There are no absolute law governing the Internet; it is usually regulated by the area you live in, and or the area the server housing the website is located in.

            Account deletion is usually done on an admin decision basis. For example, I wouldn't delete all contents associated with an account even if I'm requested to. Most I'll do is put the user into a "no longer with us" group and unlink any profile things as needed via template + conditionals. Other than that, if they want more, go get a lawyer and serve me papers. I'd rather have everyone -- including guests -- be able to read old archived threads properly than just to please one person.

            But that's just me. Other admins might just be willing to do so.
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Paul. View Post
              Yes, but they will still have your email address. I know you can uncheck the option to receive emails from the Administrators but I'm sure if you want your membership canceled for whatever reason, then it should be deleted off the message board?
              Is your problem is your email adress being visible/you receive emails?

              You can simply change your email adress, and unsubscripe from all threads.

              You can do someother things to hid your idenity - request changing your username, chane your profile.

              There's no actual reason to go to court, and hire a lawyer for these stuffs.
              $post[signature]

              Comment


              • #8
                It is not the administrators duty to delete members by such members request. I personally would never delete a member from any community of mine unless they have 0 posts.

                This has offended some and I tell them it's the rules of my forum & if they really wanted to be Banned then just break one of our rules and I will happily ban them at that point. But that still wouldn't issue a cause for deletion.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mazinger View Post
                  Is your problem is your email adress being visible/you receive emails?

                  You can simply change your email adress, and unsubscripe from all threads.

                  You can do someother things to hid your idenity - request changing your username, chane your profile.

                  There's no actual reason to go to court, and hire a lawyer for these stuffs.
                  Lol. You just quoted me and said exactly what i said.

                  It is not that I want an account removed from anywhere, I'm just curious.

                  Thanks all for the replies.
                  Welcome, Paul..
                  You last visited: Sat 21st Jul '07 at 2:37am

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If a member requests that his account be deleted on my forums, I will honor the request.
                    Peggy
                    ~ normal is overrated ~

                    One Buzy Mama!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Even if the site has a no deletion of accounts policy, you can always change the email address on it to something which is invalid and remove all the other data from your profile.
                      Kerry-Anne :)

                      Twitter Blog

                      www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
                        Even if the site has a no deletion of accounts policy, you can always change the email address on it to something which is invalid and remove all the other data from your profile.
                        But is that e-mail account not invalid until it's confirmed?
                        Welcome, Paul..
                        You last visited: Sat 21st Jul '07 at 2:37am

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Once you've voluntarily provided your mail address and any other info to someone else, you have essentially lost control over that info. There is nothing more we can tell you. If this is a concern for you then you need to contact a lawyer. Good luck.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                          Steve Machol Photography


                          Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Paul. View Post
                            But is that e-mail account not invalid until it's confirmed?
                            It may be invalid, and the account may be thrown into waiting for confirmation, but the information is updated in the database and your old address is no longer there
                            Best Regards,
                            Andy Huang

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                              Once you've voluntarily provided your mail address and any other info to someone else, you have essentially lost control over that info. There is nothing more we can tell you. If this is a concern for you then you need to contact a lawyer. Good luck.
                              I don't agree with that really.
                              And this is not a concern for me, I'm just curious and wanted to see the responses.


                              Originally posted by Andy Huang View Post
                              It may be invalid, and the account may be thrown into waiting for confirmation, but the information is updated in the database and your old address is no longer there
                              That can be good then.
                              Welcome, Paul..
                              You last visited: Sat 21st Jul '07 at 2:37am

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X