Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last message sent - Private

Hello,

I thought this place can be a good choice for creating this thread.

Anyway i am licenced member of vb, but today when i logged i saw that vBulletin 3.5 Quick Tips and Customizations last post written as private.

When i click that forum i can see that there is 7 threads at vBulletin 3.5 Quick Tips Submissions forum but its last post also shown as private.

When i click quick tips submissions it says there is no post at this forum.

If i am not wrong i can see the threads at that forum but i can only see "private" as last post.

Is it a normal thing for licenced members also or am i the only one that having this problem?

The threads in teh submission forum are only visible to the Thread starter and Staff.

Each submission is reviewed before it is moved to the public viewable forum.
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by bonjurkes
      Hello,

I thought this place can be a good choice for creating this thread.

Anyway i am licenced member of vb, but today when i logged i saw that vBulletin 3.5 Quick Tips and Customizations last post written as private.

When i click that forum i can see that there is 7 threads at vBulletin 3.5 Quick Tips Submissions forum but its last post also shown as private.

When i click quick tips submissions it says there is no post at this forum.

If i am not wrong i can see the threads at that forum but i can only see "private" as last post.

Is it a normal thing for licenced members also or am i the only one that having this problem?
      its done it to me a couple of times too , i managed to get a screenshot of it last time (see attached)

im convinced its just a browser issue (you using firefox by any chance ?) , it appeared normally in internet explorer and as it went away when i cleared my cookies and restarted my machine.
      Attached Files

Comment

This is not a browser issue or a bug. The 'Private' message is by design. Like i explained above threads in the Submissions forums can only be read by the threadstarter and (i asume) vB Staff members.

If the last post was made in a private forum for which you don't have permission to read the threads 'Private' is shown as title of the latest post.
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by yellow_spider
          its done it to me a couple of times too , i managed to get a screenshot of it last time (see attached)

im convinced its just a browser issue (you using firefox by any chance ?) , it appeared normally in internet explorer and as it went away when i cleared my cookies and restarted my machine.
          That's not a bug or browsers issue at all. It happens when a new thread is submitted to one of the sumbissions' sub-forums.

Though, I think it's a bit confusing, & my guess it should be changed in future vB versions not to mark a parent forum as private when a thread is submitted to a child one.
          You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoH64
            This is not a browser issue or a bug. The 'Private' message is by design. Like i explained above threads in the Submissions forums can only be read by the threadstarter and (i asume) vB Staff members.

If the last post was made in a private forum for which you don't have permission to read the threads 'Private' is shown as title of the latest post.
            ah , but if you look at my screenshots , its happening in the "vb3.5 quick tips and customizations" and "vbulletin downloads" forums , both of which i can read.

i do understand what you mean by certain forums only the topic starter being able to view their own thread and no one elses though.

edit... MarcoH64 , sorry mate! it was me getting confused and not reading your reply properly ! after thinking again ... both these forums have subforums that contain (like you said) private forums (only topic starter can view own thread) so that would be the reason

Originally posted by simsim
            Though, I think it's a bit confusing, & my guess it should be changed in future vB versions not to mark a parent forum as private when a thread is submitted to a child one.
            i agree with this
            Last edited by yellow_spider; Mon 13th Feb '06, 5:02am.

Comment

Originally posted by simsim
              That's not a bug or browsers issue at all. It happens when a new thread is submitted to one of the sumbissions' sub-forums.

It will stay this way as the other choice is a massive permission based query that would sap performance dry.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Well, I've noticed this is hapenning only if all sub-forums are private as well. The downloads forum has sub-forums that aren't private, it's now shoing last post info though there appears submitted threads in the submission sub-forum.

That makes more sense.

Comment

It will show the latest thread made in the forum or any of it's subforums. If you don't have permissions to the (sub)forum in which the latest thread was made, it will show Private

Comment

You mean even if I have permissions to post in a sub-forum (along other subs I don't have permissions to) it will show private on forumhome?

Comment

Working...
                    X