Suggestion: Forum for Large/Multi-Server VB implementations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phrost
    The Admin Zone (not my site) has an area exclusive for "big board" operators as judged by big-boards.com. I think there are some Vbulletin staff over there too.

Anyway, it's been a good resource for me as I run a big board.
    I concur. I own a big-board too and have found the admin zone (www.theadminzone.com/forums) to be the best source of vBulletin related discourse around.

The big-board forum is screened and accessible via usergroup permission only which is nice.

Comment

www.theadminzone.com & www.best-boards.com are both good resources for forum admins but I would still like to see an official vb forum.
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
        www.theadminzone.com & www.best-boards.com are both good resources for forum admins but I would still like to see an official vb forum.
        I concur, and www.theforumfix.com is great resource as well.

Comment

I would also like to suggest theadminzone.com ... I am a regular member there and have found it to be a great resource...

What do you mean? I thought we were on the official forum right now

MGM out

Comment

The forum fix is good, I like the articles about making money LOL

What do you mean? I thought we were on the official forum right now
            LOL I meant a forum on vb.com for owners of larger boards. I would love to try out tweaks that came directly from the dev team!
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

just requested a username for theadminzone...looks like a great resource...

500ish online users, 2500+ posts a day, already on dual servers...mine'll break 1m posts in a few weeks....

Comment

I don't have a 1mil+ forum, but I vote a forum for large boards and hacks over at vB.org if they can't be put here.
                Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

I would also recomend the Big Boards forum on www.theadminzone.com the best admin resource hands down, there are other smaller ones but TAZ is the fastest I say.

Comment

I would love to try out tweaks that came directly from the dev team!
                    If such a forum were set up, it would be primarily for interaction between customers with big boards. As some of the adjustments being used now and probably in the future require the code to be modified, we can't support them.
                    Best Regards
                    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

skipping over where to host this forum on vBulletin.com or .org or elsewhere, the idea itself is excellent

who's to say whether through discussions between large forum operators we arrive at fixes, and solutions to troublesome issues which can be implemented in the next version of vBulletin or come across hardware compatibility issues and the like we can be aware of i.e. centOS + 2.6.9-22 kernel bug http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171071
                      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost
                        The Admin Zone (not my site) has an area exclusive for "big board" operators as judged by big-boards.com. I think there are some Vbulletin staff over there too.

Anyway, it's been a good resource for me as I run a big board.
                        So that forum is available only to people who are listed on big-boards.com? I'd like to be able to read that forum, but don't have a big board. :/
                        Veterans Resources - A community of veterans helping each other out with claims, benefits, and medical treatments.
                        RPM Planets - All the automotive news you want to read and none of the boring stuff!
                        Brain Raid - Latest in tech gadgets!
                        Slapyo.com - Random jokes, videos, and funny pics.

Comment

I agree. I don't understand why you have to have a "big board" in order to gain knowledge about how to run one in the future?

Originally posted by Slapyo
                          So that forum is available only to people who are listed on big-boards.com? I'd like to be able to read that forum, but don't have a big board. :/
                          DMCTalk.com forums - For DeLorean owners and enthusiasts.

Comment

LOL - We had this same conversation when we opened the Big-Boards Forum. For the most part, topics discussed it that forum only apply to big boards. And, like here, the administrators of the big boards post all over the place, not just within that forum. But they do like to have a private place to discuss topics of interest to Big Board admins. Premium members of the Admin Zone who do not run big boards are able to see the discussions but cannot post in them. Among other things, posting an article will get you into the Premium group.
                            The Admin Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators
                            Articles - Forum Review
                            Interviews:
                            Kier Scott Jerry Andreas Steve Wayne Jake Floris Logician Erwin
                            Paul M

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
                              If such a forum were set up, it would be primarily for interaction between customers with big boards. As some of the adjustments being used now and probably in the future require the code to be modified, we can't support them.
                              Naturally
                              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

I think it could be a good read. I think our forum counts as big 200-600 online can get as meny as 1500 at times, only at 650k posts at the moment however we do have nearly 20000 registered users. Its running on a mostly dedicated server; thers a couple of other sites on their and we run irc and cs servers it does get very slow at times for no apparent reason.

This forum may help me tweak it to be a little faster. Then again i'm sure the upgrade to vb3.5 will help a bit.
                                Some of my Mods:
                                Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                                Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                                Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
                                Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X