Complaint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaint.

Please, please please. What is happening? The latest 3.5.1 announcement explanation is made for techies only and is very vague. I don't understand most of everything. Before, the announcements were clear, not messy and chewed up for the customer. Now all versions upgrades are in one thread, messy, not understandable confusing the hell out of people. Not all of us are techy guys! Please edit that announcement? Who posted that? It appears there are also some extra information that we don't need to know confusing the hell out of people.

Originally posted by jmvb
    Please, please please. What is happening? The latest 3.5.1 announcement explanation is made for techies only and is very vague. I don't understand most of everything. Before, the announcements were clear, not messy and chewed up for the customer. Now all versions upgrades are in one thread, messy, not understandable confusing the hell out of people. Not all of us are techy guys! Please edit that announcement? Who posted that? It appears there are also some extra information that we don't need to know confusing the hell out of people.
    Well to be honest, people with no technical knowlege really shouldn't be running vB in the first place.
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Creepshow
      Well to be honest, people with no technical knowlege really shouldn't be running vB in the first place.
      That's silly. You don't have to be a techie to run VB. That's the beauty of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roxie
        That's silly. You don't have to be a techie to run VB. That's the beauty of it.
        Exactly.

If you don't understand it, i'm sure they'll patch it up so you can.

Comment

Originally posted by jmvb
          Could you pinpoint exactly what it is that you don't understand?

If you haven't hacked your board and haven't customized your templates, all you ever need to do when you upgrade is upload all the files, take a backup of the database and run install/upgrade.php - that's it!

We provide all the techy information in the announcement so that those people who have modified or customized their board aren't left stranded when a new version is released.

Comment

That is a shame since it cuts off the large majority of our customers from using the product. Most don't even know what HTML is...
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

1: Upload files (you don't even have to chmod any)
              2: Create blank database
              3: edit config file and change a few lines of code (hardest thing to do)
              3: Install

Does that qualify me as a TECHY!
              Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 4th Nov '05, 5:37pm.

Comment

Installing or Upgrading vBulletin (3.0.x/3.5.x)

Please see the appropriate manual sections: Installing vBulletin and Upgrading vBulletin.

Note that the process is the same as it was in the 3.0.x series. However you must redo your config.php if you are upgrading from 3.0.x!

I'm not sure how that's difficult?

Comment

His complaint wasn't about the upgrade process but the release announcement. Over the years, the announcements have evolved to include lists of files changed, updated templates and other things. Those are more technical than previous announcements.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I thought grouping all the version into one announcment was a tad confusing. Each should have its own thread for greater clarity imo.

Comment

Maybe another link/thread for the technical details would be nice. That way the main part will be brief, and the techy types can do what they do best -- dig code (they're sure to notice the changes even d-e-e-p in php).

Chris
                      "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                      is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                      ~~~
                      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

The problem we have found with simply linking to the more technical information is that it's even less likely to be read, leading to an exponential increase in the amount of support tickets coming in from people who've managed to break their hacked boards during the upgrade process.

Comment

Edited by me as I found the solution.
                          Last edited by jmvb; Sun 6th Nov '05, 5:56am.

Comment

the zip contains a partial directory structure as would be found in the regular download.

class_upload.php and init.php are both in a folder called include in the zip, hence upload to the includes folder on your main directory.
                            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                              the zip contains a partial directory structure as would be found in the regular download.

class_upload.php and init.php are both in a folder called include in the zip, hence upload to the includes folder on your main directory.
                              Yeah, thanks Scott. Yesterday I was going to delete my last post right after I posted it but this site was unnavailable for a lot of hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X