No announcement yet.

Bogus is bogus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think so, but you could be correct.

Perhaps Jelsoft could weigh-in with a better suggestion?

Comment

Originally posted by Onimua
      Use that would just make it seem like there's no response to put or anything, and would even be more misleading than "Bogus."
      Not sure if i'd go so far as to say it was misleading.

Comment

According to dictionary.com the word "bogus" is associated with counterfeit, fake, fraudulent, phoney ... and is even derived from a device used to make counterfeit money.

So, the term "N/A" would seem to be less misleading and certainly loaded with less negative connotations.

Comment

Not Available doesn't mean the same thing as bogus.

If "Bogus" is too harsh, how about "False"?

Comment

Not to mention if you label things as "N/A," it gives the illusion that there's no information available on that bug, and would cause more people to think that it's neither bug, nor false report, but some other thing; they might even think it's an error with the bug report system, and it being indicated by the "N/A."
            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

N/A can also mean Not Applicable. I never use the abbreviation for that very reason - it's confusing to some people.

Maybe instead of "bogus" they could use "not a bug", as someone else already suggested. So it means a few more keystrokes. I don't think it would be a horrible thing.
              ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

Okay, now I get the problem with "N/A" ... and you are correct! No need to use an abbreviation that means different things to different people.

Comment

I certainly agree, and suggest something similar to the following:

"error not found"
                  "cannot be reproduced"

Comment

Originally posted by spence
                    Okay, now I get the problem with "N/A" ... and you are correct! No need to use an abbreviation that means different things to different people. .
                    You mean N.A. doesn't mean 'Nudity Allowed'? No wonder I get a lot of strange looks!
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Okay, so the obvious question, Steve ... did you guys come up with the word "bogus" before or after you all got naked?

Last edited by spence; Sun 21 Aug '05, 4:30pm.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnetCelestial
                        I certainly agree, and suggest something similar to the following:

"error not found"
                        "cannot be reproduced"
                        Actually, those two would go under the tag they use for "Working as Designed."
                        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Actually, those are "Works for Me."

As for the matter at hand, I like Andrew's idea of "false," how about "false report?"
                          Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

What about just plain "Not a Bug"?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                              You mean N.A. doesn't mean 'Nudity Allowed'? No wonder I get a lot of strange looks! http://images.vbulletin.com/images_vb3/smilies/eek.gif
                              Hahaha!

Yeah, I meant Not Applicable, but I see where that would mean different things to different people.

What about replacing bogus with "DOH!"

Comment

First...
                                Originally posted by Fusion
                                Simply use "Not A Bug"?
                                then...
                                Originally posted by cbiweb
                                Maybe instead of "bogus" they could use "not a bug", as someone else already suggested.
                                and now...
                                Originally posted by Erwin
                                What about just plain "Not a Bug"?
                                Does anyone else see a pattern here?
                                ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X