Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lock most of the forums to unlicensed users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spence
    replied
    Originally posted by MrNase
    Well here we go: Iam tired of those coming to vBulletin.com just to find answers to their HTML, PHP, .. questions.. They register for like one thread and never come back

vBulletin.com is (it used to be at least) a place for customers.. I understand that certain areas have to be open for all registered users but I think most of the current forums can be locked for them.

Let's take 'General' for example: All forums but Chit Chat and A place to test things out provide a very good support..
    Why shall users without a license get a piece of the pie?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to codemn all users who can't afford a license or don't have one for different reason but there are plenty webmaster communities out there where they could get help.
    No one ... staff or members ... are obligated reply to any questions posted by unlicensed users except regarding pre-sales questions, of course.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how this impacts licensed users. If Jelsoft wanted to include a forum called "gardening tips" why should I care? It's their dime, not mine.

Last edited by spence; Mon 22 Aug '05, 6:12am.

Leave a comment:

• Colin F
    replied
    It's generally stated that the unlicensed status isn't shown to regular users due to privacy reasons.

Leave a comment:

• RagingPenguin
    replied
    Yeah. Anothing I considered was this: why shouldn't all users see the little "Licensed" and "Unlicensed" indicators that mods see. We'd all know the status of a user right off, eliminating assumption and guesswork. How many threads have been closed now after tons of people replied, and the mod discovered the original postee was unlicensed? Anyway, if we could see those indicators, then we'd see any used to mark us as "Experienced" as well. That would solve both areas of confusion at once.

Leave a comment:

• Colin F
    replied
    If something like that is implemented, I hope it'd be refined a bit...
    I also think that it could cause some confusion.

Leave a comment:

• RagingPenguin
    replied
    The only thing I have to add to this would be a reformation of an earlier suggestion I had. Considering that newer license holders typically do not have a complete working knowledge of the system, and often ask questions themselves, why not split the licensed members into two groups, where the default license holder group is the same as it is now, only without post access to the pre-sales forum, and the other, reachable by promotion after 1 year as a license holder, will give that right back to them. My reasoning is this: Unlicensed users should be able to ask questions, but only have experienced license holders or staff reply. Once a user has bought their first license, they really have no business posting answers to presales questions as they are more than likely to answer wrongly. Give that right back after a years time in order that they can get the experience they need. If not, that's fine too. Nothing really seems "broken" with the system as it is now. It's merely a suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    My egnlish very godd is!

Leave a comment:

• Black Tiger
    replied
    Ah indeed, there should be a comma, i read it as 1 sentence in stead of... well I understand now, sorry! Thanks for the tip Colin F!
    In that case I completely agree with Floris how it should be done.

Leave a comment:

• Colin F
    replied
    You misunderstood that.

It's meant to be read as "so that only licensed customers can post".

Leave a comment:

• Black Tiger
    replied
    and limit posting access to licensed customers only in particular forums.
    Excuse me? Can you explain this? You want to limit posting access to licensed customers? Which particulier forums did you have in mind and why should licensed customers be limited to post? Except for maybe anouncement an moderator forums and that kind of stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    No, there is no feature to do this, and I doubt we will implement it. I see no real use in giving unlicensed users access to a forum for only x days or y posts.

I really believe it is best to give read-access for unlicensed users (customers and none customers) and limit posting access to licensed customers only in particular forums.

To be honest, this has been a very interesting thread to read and I have been following it since the start. The staff has also been discussing the suggestions, feedback (positive ones and negative ones) and we've applied some permission changes here and there.

Leave a comment:

• harmor
    replied
    Well I'm an unlicensed member but I have a suggestion.

If possible you could set a limit on how many threads the member can view before being denied access to that forum.

I know that more php has to be coded in the bulletin board software and may prolong the time which 3.5 gets released.

Leave a comment:

• free thinker
    replied
    Originally posted by MrNase
    Hm.. true

I doubt it.. Most of them have 2 postings or even less
    Most people with a license have 100 or more posts their first week LOL. At least I did.

Leave a comment:

• Black Tiger
    replied
    Thanks for the explanation Fusion.
    But still.... there are good people out there, who let the possibility to view how support is given, be important for there buying decisions, at least I know it was important to me.
    Just letting them view, is no pain. Let them register but revoke their posting rights until they've got a license. Also that is a reasonably easy possibility which vbulletin can make use of.

@Terminator1138: hear hear. Ik can agree with you on that.

Leave a comment:

• Terminator1138
    replied
    Has anyone thought of just creating a special rank or user group with access and privies? I have even seen a vb member base that showed who was licensed user so one could then help those who are identifed as owners etc. Perhaps they ask here as just a way that they can find help since the members here are so great. I don't post much here and I run several forums etc. I understand ppl that just come by and post what they will and sometimes just to spam a board over and over. IMO, whats the big deal. You don't have to take it upon yourself to answer it. I can understand it can take up lots of real estate, but that is where mods come in to help clean out the gutters ever so often.

Closing down the whole board to registered users to only view is a solution of many. I'm sure the person that was helped was appreciative of the advice etc. You can always point them to another forum also.

Leave a comment:

• Fusion
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Tiger
    What if you decide to stick with the latest version f.e. 3.0.8 and won't go any further. This would mean you can't see support anymore.
    You again have to pay 30 dollars maybe for 1 or 2 questions you have which might already been answered? Because i presume you would also block users who's support time is passed?
    Not so. Having an owned license still entitles you to full support and full access to this board. The annual fee is just so you can download the new versions as they become available (and in some small way continue to support the team which develops the software), You can let that fee lapse for as long as you like, just as long as you have an owned license. Leased licences have to be removed if they aren't renewed.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X