PMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMs

Will there be a change, of at least, making the PM system for those who posted at least once?

Folks are getting bold to register then solicit downloads they're not authorized to download.

Chris
    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
    ~~~
    Leonardo da Vinci

Are you making that recommendation for this forum or do you want to know how to do this for your own forums? We haven't had too many complaints about this happening here and when we do we quickly take care of the problem user.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

For here, Steve.

Got a PM from a new member here who has 0 posts to his name, PMing to download a vBulletin file he has no access too, and upload it to his site.

Usually Admins put a 1 to 10 post requirement before someone can use the PM system, as folks abuse it (like immediately spamming members after registration).

So asking if this will be enabled as well?

Chris
      ~~~
      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Could you PM me or steve with the person who PM you and quote the PM?

Comment

It's not a feature that can be simply enabled. It requires modifiying the existing usergroups to remove the PM function and creating a new group with this permission. Then we'd have to set up a promotionn to do this.

Honestly this is not a problem that is reported to us very often, and consequently I'd hate to limit new user's ability to PM just because of the occasional bad apples. I'd rather take care of the people that abuse the system instead.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

@Floris: Forwarded the PM to Steve and you.

@Steve: just asking if this was possible here. And what's the incentive to report it? If folks can get around forum limits by asking friends to download stuff for them, and even share 2 vBulletins or more for the price of one with friends? Not likely friends will turn friends in.

Chris
            ~~~
            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

What's the 'incentive' to report it? I'm not sure what you mean. If someone is harrasing you with PMs, then I thought that would be incentive enough.

And if friends are sharing vB files with each other, limiting PMs for new users is not going to stop this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

There's no incentive to report violations other than one's good will, Steve. Friends aren't going to turn friends in, and it's as simple as having one to share vBulletin and get around the forum support requirements too.

One person who pays can "support" a lot of "friends".

Limiting PMs can stop spam though -- which it seems that PM was about.

Chris
                ~~~
                Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I honestly don't know what friend's sharing vB files and not turning each other in has to do with the original request concerning PMs. Seems to be a completely non-related issue.

As do the PMs, I would prefer punishing the actual guilty parties rather than punishing everyone for the actions of a few.

SAmd the PM you forwarded to me weasn't spam. It was an unlicensed user trying to get you to download a file for him that is only available to licensed customers. He was banned for that.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve, it's called motive. Why did the guy PM for the file he didn't have access too? He didn't do it for his health, his motive is to gain something he had no access too.

Whatever you might claim it to be, but if members get more and more of such requests it'll won't be only my own definition of spam -- uninvited solicitations for products and/or services (in this case to get the guy something for free and do his dirty work).

Chris
                    ~~~
                    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I'm not sure what the argument is about, but okay.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I get requests to give someone a file over AIM more often than PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X