Downtime yesterday ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downtime yesterday ?

vbulletin.com and .org seemed to be unreachable yesterday. Comments ?

We had a server failure and it took time to restore all the software and get back online.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      We had a server failure and it took time to restore all the software and get back online.
      Do you have these alot? what company is this site hosted through? Just seems like you guys have alot of problems with your server

Comment

Once is more than enough. We have had intermittent problems on the server and have been working with the provider to fix them and get out software to work on them again. Since Sunday, we have mitigated all forseeable problems. The downtime yesterday was to continue to work on the same problem and fix it.

The server is hosted through ThePlanet which hosts a lot of sites, including many resellers. And while we seem to have gotten a bad strain of luck, I don't think it can be directly attributed to them but a variety of factors including hardware and software failures.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Once is more than enough. We have had intermittent problems on the server and have been working with the provider to fix them and get out software to work on them again. Since Sunday, we have mitigated all forseeable problems. The downtime yesterday was to continue to work on the same problem and fix it.

The server is hosted through ThePlanet which hosts a lot of sites, including many resellers. And while we seem to have gotten a bad strain of luck, I don't think it can be directly attributed to them but a variety of factors including hardware and software failures.
          Have you guys considered upgrading the server?? Everytime i go to my admin panel and I want to check the server load i have to wait forever for it to load because it is linking to here. Quite annoying and has been really bad lately.

Comment

You'll be able to turn that off in the next release with a config.php flat but it removes the latest update checker though we might implement another system to sort it. Also considering moving the version.vbulletin.com to another server.
            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
              You'll be able to turn that off in the next release with a config.php flat but it removes the latest update checker though we might implement another system to sort it. Also considering moving the version.vbulletin.com to another server.
              I love the fact that it will display the new version update, however it is just slows us down too much. Now and days every second counts

Moving the version.vb...com to a different server would definately be a bonus.

Thanx for the repliess.

Comment

Oddly enough, I don't seem to be affected as you are Primal. I've had times before when I was poking inside the admincp but vBulletin was down, and all it did was time it out for me really fast..
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  Oddly enough, I don't seem to be affected as you are Primal. I've had times before when I was poking inside the admincp but vBulletin was down, and all it did was time it out for me really fast..
                  The delay is only experienced on the Home Page of the admin CP. I know there are other threads on this forum with the same complaint, i just can't find them.

Maybe the delay is only noticeable in Netscape as that is what i use. None the less i assure you I am not the only one complaining about it .

Cheers

Comment

Same thing here I never see a slow down.... but then again I'm on a really high speed connection with quite a few tweaks to firefox

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Rage
                      The delay is only experienced on the Home Page of the admin CP. I know there are other threads on this forum with the same complaint, i just can't find them.

Maybe the delay is only noticeable in Netscape as that is what i use. None the less i assure you I am not the only one complaining about it .

Cheers
                      dunno...I know there was revisions made to limit the stall time. I use to be annoyed, but with the last outage, I was hardly bothered by it.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Its to do with the versions of PHP, it tries to open a socket to the vB server to test to see if its open. This should take literally a fraction of a section but on some systems it doesn't appear to work correctly.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                          Same thing here I never see a slow down.... but then again I'm on a really high speed connection with quite a few tweaks to firefox
                          I'm on a 5Mbit line from my ISP, hardly doubt that is the problem .

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                          Its to do with the versions of PHP, it tries to open a socket to the vB server to test to see if its open. This should take literally a fraction of a section but on some systems it doesn't appear to work correctly.
                          Running the latest version of PHP here. Dedicated server, fully tweaked. I would find it hard for the slow down to be on my end. Specially when I have noticed on other boards where i have admin access.

It's nothing major, but can get annoying at times.

Comment

What is the setting for "allow_url_fopen" in your php.ini file? If this is turned off, it will default to a standard fopen() call instead of fsockopen() and you will experience the delay.

It also defaults to fopen() if you are using PHP version 4.3.1 (which you aren't and no one else should be either).

Wayne Luke

Comment

What is the setting for "allow_url_fopen" in your php.ini file? If this is turned off, it will default to a standard fopen() call instead of fsockopen() and you will experience the delay.

It also defaults to fopen() if you are using PHP version 4.3.1 (which you aren't and no one else should be either).
                              allow_url_fopen On

So that's not the problem. I have noticed when it does lag i see at the bottom that it is trying to load version.vbulletin.com so essentially that is where the problem lies. Like i said not a big deal, and if you guys plan on doing changes to it then no worries.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X