Reputation System Disabled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reputation System Disabled?

I was just wondering why the Reputation System is disabled on this forum? It does cause some arguments on my forum, but overall I think it is a good feature as:

- It allows members to give feedback on a post.
    - It will make people refrain from posting bad things, in fear of getting bad reputation points.
    - It will encourage some people to make good/helpful posts.

It would also allow potential customers to get the chance to try it out properly. IMO this could also be a selling point.

Just my 2 pennies.
    Yes
    47.37%
    No
    52.63%

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

I think reputation should be enabled here.

Comment

Gotta agree. Reputation, if used and encouraged properly, is a good addition to any forum.
        A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern"

Comment

I'd like to see it to.

This thread also reminded me of the underground karma trading we had on the vB3 public beta forum

Comment

I've now added a poll for those who cannot be bothered to respond.

Comment

I don't want that simply because of rate "haters" from competiting software companies and their userbase attempting to sabotage their competition's product.
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                I don't want that simply because of rate "haters" from competiting software companies and their userbase attempting to sabotage their competition's product.
                I have to AGREE with you there. I find it more damaging on vendor sites than positive really. Seems to be mor eof a community based feature. Not to say this isn't a community but it is a company forum overall.

Comment

You could prevent the registered usergroup from giving negative reputation to eliminate that problem.
                  Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

True, however I fear that let's say a group of people decide to chip into purchase a vB license just for the heck of it (a leased one) simply to sabotage their competition.

They get their buddies/pals to rate hate and well, things go downhill from there. One vB account, mulitple usernames (3 of em at least) and well, mayhem -_-"

After that, they demand a refund or issue a string of chargebacks, so they can bail out of here...and well...disaster.
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ForumRelated
                      I have to AGREE with you there. I find it more damaging on vendor sites than positive really. Seems to be mor eof a community based feature. Not to say this isn't a community but it is a company forum overall.
                      Well maybe it would be a good idea not to allow negative feedback and only to allow positive feedback.
                      Or they could make it so that you need X amount of post and X amount reputation before they can give others any reputation feedback.
                      I understand what you mean, but I personally don't think it is a good enough reason to imply that the idea should be ruled out, as there are ways to prevent the feature from being abused.

True, however I fear that let's say a group of people decide to chip into purchase a vB license just for the heck of it (a leased one) simply to sabotage their competition.
                      I honeslty don't think many people will buy a license just so that they can give people negative feedback. I'm not saying it won't happen, but if it did it would be on a small scale I would imagine.
                      Last edited by HostOrbit; Wed 24th Nov '04, 2:26am.

Comment

I've voted to keep it off.

I can understand the argument to turn it off because it is a feature and users see this forum aside from being a support site also as a demo site.

But since this is a commercial web site with customers and potential customers I can understand the staff prefers to have it off.

Comment

Maybe a seperate usergroup for it? So people can voluntarily participate if they want?
                          A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern"

Comment

utterly useless in the hands of idiots

Comment

HostOrbit,

I have removed the image you used in post #2. This was creating a security popup with Norton IS. Please refrain from using similar images.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment