This is against the rules, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is against the rules, right?

I have one vBulletin license, one database, one set of files.

I would have one domain--www.test1.com--point to one section of the forum that would have it's own style, rules, forums, and that sort of thing.

I would have another domain--www.test2.com--point to another section of the forum that would have IT'S own style, rules, forums, and things like that.

What I'm asking, though, is this against the rules? I think I read something about it awhile ago saying you're not allowed to run two sites on one license, but I just want to make sure.

This would require two licenses:

vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each license purchased. Each license may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate license is required. Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      This would require two licenses:
      You sure? I don't think that you understand what he means?

so this: www.df3.net would be illigal too?
      Originally Posted by Zachery
      John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
      We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure:

Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure:

Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.
          so what are the modifications to the software and database?
          John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

I wouldn't be modifying the code in any way... I would only be using what features vB has to seperate the sites.

But thanks Steve.

Comment

Anything that makes it appear to be separate boards.

I would have one domain--www.test1.com--point to one section of the forum that would have it's own style, rules, forums, and that sort of thing.

I would have another domain--www.test2.com--point to another section of the forum that would have IT'S own style, rules, forums, and things like that.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Anything that makes it appear to be separate boards.
                but pointing a domain to a subforum isnt Modifications to the software or database

Comment

If it can be done without modifying the database or code, then it should be fine. The details are a bit sketchy though.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

However (I'm presuming) you can have other domains point to your site,
                    (like the 20+ .com,.org,.net,.info etc domains I needed to get to protect my site name.

Mark
                    Mark

Comment

If it can be done without modifying the database or code, then it should be fine. The details are a bit sketchy though.
                      Andrew111888, your answer^

Comment

Yeah you can have other domains point to your site or even multiple files on multiple webservers as long as they point to the same mysql server and produce the same board.

Ie. people who use round robin page serving because there site gets so many users a day.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103150

Comment

Looks like I'll be closing my current board then.

Comment

Would using sub domain addresses also fall under this?

I was thinking of having seperate sub domains point to certain ships or section of my RPG forum.

Example:

ship1.site.com
                              ship2.site.com

the styles would be the same (unless of course the user has selected something different from the default one) and the entire board would still be accessible by the normal navigation in the navbar.

Thanks for your time!!
                              RPG Warfare
                              Choose your Destiny

Comment

Working...
                              X