X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is going to cost me.... not a happy camper

Hello Everyone,

Today I put in a vb support ticket simply asking for support on the vb blog software which should be supported and to my dismay and I'm feeling very brushed off.

My support ticket message:

...Everything still is running fine except the "search feature" of the blog software.

I tried working with your staff via the forum and did everything that I could to figure out and fix the problem. I know need your expertise.

The problems are this....

When searching for blog entries in the search box "Search Blogs" located on the navbar, it does not find the search term and after your submit your search the page just refreshes to the homepage. Also when you click on the "Advanced Search" again it refreshed to the home page. So those are 2 issues there.

Next issue with searching blogs....

When you go someones actual blog, here

and do conduct a search in the "Find Blog Entries" box in the left hand column for that person, the proper page comes up saying that "Sorry - no matches..... however again it is still not finding the results it should be.

I tried to fix this and now I need your help.....
    and this was the response that I received, not naming no names.
    Note: You are running VBSEO which is a third-party add-on which make some substantial changes to vB. We cannot provide support for forums running vBSEO when the same problem does not occur with the default vB code. To get official support you will need to remove or disable this add-on, including the changes it made to .htaccess.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?
    Now I am okay with the advice given here, but what pisses me off here is that this "no results coming up thing is something the staff already have known about and now I am getting this type of response.

See thread... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ht=blog+search

First of all, I should not even be having this problem as this should of been corrected when customers are pointing out issues. And I just downloaded and installed the software yesterday.

Anyways, all these steps are being suggested, which I am being asked to perform but all the time knowing that it most likely has nothing to do with my sites structure.

What I would of expected and still do, is that instead of sending me a huge check list of steps to perform, basically taking apart my site and making numerous changes which I am sure could be avoided. I would expect for a member of vb team to use their years of experience to jump right in there and do what they can to help out. You know, go the extra mile. I've spent a lot of time and money with vb and I continue on doing so but things need to be a little more customer service. Not that I do not appreciate the help thus far, but it's things like this that piss me off. Especially when I am asking for help directly from vb. When I go that far, I really need the help, otherwise I would just handle it myself or jump on a forum to do some digging. Which I do 100% of the time before asking for direct help from the vb staff.

Now, I have got vbseo staff involved which they will probably say it has nothing to do with their software and then again leading back to the way vb and vb blog has been setup.

Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry for the spelling and grammatic errors, but I am a little ticked right now and get this out.

In addition, I do have a question for anyone reading this. Since the search feature seems useless (unless you have a solution) I would like to take the search blog link off the search drop down box. Does anyone know how to do that?

Thank You,

Eric
    Yes
    100.00%
    No
    0.00%
    Last edited by nuguru; Sat 27 Sep '08, 5:10pm.

I'm not sure why you're having a fit.

That list of steps is to revert your installation to default code.

It is made clear that modified code will not be supported.
    The truth is that the error does not occur in the default code. Therefore, the reason it is broken is because of something you have done.

The fact of the matter is that you really can't be helped if you screw it up yourself.

Have you heard of a warranty? It's the same thing. If you modify the code, your warranty (support) is void.
    Regards,
    Nick

Comment

Assumptions...

Originally posted by Nick View Post
      I'm not sure why you're having a fit.

That list of steps is to revert your installation to default code.

It is made clear that modified code will not be supported.
      The truth is that the error does not occur in the default code. Therefore, the reason it is broken is because of something you have done.

The fact of the matter is that you really can't be helped if you screw it up yourself.

Have you heard of a warranty? It's the same thing. If you modify the code, your warranty (support) is void.
      I don't think installing vbseo is screwing things up do you? Maybe vbseo would have a different opinion?

So, instead of making these allegations, how about as a senior member being a little more supportive and try to help me here instead of adding to the problem?

Thanks

Comment

Since you decided to attack someone for responding to your thread, I will say this. We do not provide support for forums running non-vB code when the default vB does not have this problem. That is the case with your situation.

You were given the choice on what to do to troubleshoot this issue and you refused. That was your choice. I'm sorry you feel abused because we only provide support for our code, but I'm afraid that is not going to change.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X