X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whelck
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Posts don't reference a forum so it shouldn't be even access the entire post table for the move as far as I am aware.

Three things happen:

1) The forumid in the thread table is updated.

2) If a redirect is created then a new thread object is created and flagged to redirect to the old thread.

3) The last post of the forum is updated.

It would most likely be #3 that causes the time consumption. It doesn't occur on this forum though. Granted we don't have 3 million posts but at almost 1.7 million posts, I would anything noticeable would have started rearing its ugly head.

One thing you could do is run the slow query log in MySQL and move a few threads causing the problems then we can look at those queries to see if they can be improved.

See:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/...query-log.html
    Thanks for the update! I'll take a look at the slow query log and see what other information I can gather.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by whelck View Post
    Would query time be affected with such a move when the post table is probably 3,000,000ish posts?
    Posts don't reference a forum so it shouldn't be even access the entire post table for the move as far as I am aware.

Three things happen:

1) The forumid in the thread table is updated.

2) If a redirect is created then a new thread object is created and flagged to redirect to the old thread.

3) The last post of the forum is updated.

It would most likely be #3 that causes the time consumption. It doesn't occur on this forum though. Granted we don't have 3 million posts but at almost 1.7 million posts, I would anything noticeable would have started rearing its ugly head.

One thing you could do is run the slow query log in MySQL and move a few threads causing the problems then we can look at those queries to see if they can be improved.

See:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/...query-log.html

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    No - no new record is being created, just an existing one being updated.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Bickley
    replied
    Moving or copying?

Moving shouldn't do anything except for changing the forum ID on the thread and post records. Though locking the thread should be enough if you just want to remove it from circulation at 10,000 posts. I don't see why you think you need to move it.

Copying can do all sorts of intensive things.

Make sure that the Duplicate Search Index Information on Thread Copy? is set to no.

vBulletin Options -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options.
    Wayne, would either moving or copying generate a notification email if the target location has an "email address to notify" set up?

Bill

Leave a comment:

• whelck
    replied
    Moving or copying?

Moving shouldn't do anything except for changing the forum ID on the thread and post records. Though locking the thread should be enough if you just want to remove it from circulation at 10,000 posts. I don't see why you think you need to move it.

Make sure that the Duplicate Search Index Information on Thread Copy? is set to no.

vBulletin Options -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options.
    Definitely moving. It's not really seeing a need to move it, it was more for organizational purposes (which I agree, the reasoning even for that is weak at best).

Would query time be affected with such a move when the post table is probably 3,000,000ish posts?

Thanks for the response, too!

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Moving or copying?

Leave a comment:

• whelck
    started a topic What happens when a thread is moved?

What happens when a thread is moved?

The steps vbulletin takes in moving a thread from one forum to another. The issue is that we have several threads that are very active. It's been recommended to close large threads to keep the load down, which is cool with me. So threads that hit 10,000 posts are locked and moved to a separate forum.

However, whenever this happens the board seizes up and is unusable for quite a while (too many connections errors). I'm curious as to all the steps that are taken to move a thread that would cause such a high load.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X