Attachment file replacement fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachment file replacement fails

To enhance performance, I moved the attachments to the file system. This was done successfully.
    When I tried to replace an attachment using the admincp, I received an error "Failed to write file. Check disc quotas and permissions". I had assumed that the permissions were correct because the move to the file system was successful and there are no disc quotas set.

Moving the attachments back to the database allowed me to successfully replace the attachment.

What could be set wrong when attachments were in the file system?

'Disc quota' is a server issue. Did you try contacting your host?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It's not a drive space/quota issue, I control the server and it has many gigs of free space.

Comment

Check both the overall limit:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Attachment Options -> Limit Space Taken Up By Attachments (Total)

...and the specific Usergroup permissions:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Attachment Permissions -> Space (in bytes) that a user's total attachment usage may consume

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Limit Space Taken Up By Attachments (Total) set to 0

There is no attachment permissions option for the Unregistered users group.

Note: The newsgroup was imported and the messages/attachments are guest messages.

Registered user group attachment permissions:
          Space (in bytes) that a user's total attachment usage may consume set to 0

Are group attachment permissions ignored if attachments are in the database?

Comment

Check the permissions on the attachment directory and all subdirectories. They should be 777
            Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

As a test, I set directory permissions (Windows server 2003) as follows:
              Everyone - Full control
              Internet Guest account - Full control
              Launch IIS process account - Full control
              All permissions are inherited.

Still receive the error

Note: I can upload new attachments to the forum without problem, it's just replacing a file that fails (and that only when attachments are in the file system - I can replace the file when attachments are in the MySQL database)
              The file size of the attachment is about 500k

The following info may or may not be useful:
              Server Type WINNT
              Web Server isapi
              PHP 5.2.6
              PHP Max Post Size 2.00 MB A
              PHP Maximum Upload Size 2.00 MB
              PHP Memory Limit 128.00 MB
              MySQL Version 5.0.67-community-nt-log
              MySQL Packet Size 1.00 MB
              Last edited by BobF; Thu 22 Jan '09, 8:54am. Reason: More information

Comment

What does the Unregistered usergroup have to do with post #1? I'm a bit confused.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                  Check both the overall limit:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Attachment Options -> Limit Space Taken Up By Attachments (Total)

...and the specific Usergroup permissions:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Attachment Permissions -> Space (in bytes) that a user's total attachment usage may consume
                  Originally posted by BobF View Post
                  Note: The newsgroup was imported and the messages/attachments are guest messages.
                  Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                  What does the Unregistered usergroup have to do with post #1? I'm a bit confused.
                  bit complicated but here's my line of thought.
                  I think the imported messages and attachments go into the Guest account
                  I think the Guest account is a member of the Unregistered usergroup
                  so, that is the usergroup permissions I was trying to check to answer your question in the first quote above.

Is the Guest user not a member of the Unregistered users group? If not, which user group should I check permissions for?

Comment

That may be the problem right there. There is no way to check or enforce disc quota limits on unregistered posts. Unfortunately I don't know of any way to do this except to either remove all such attachments or keep attachments in the database.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Is there a way to move all Guest messages for a forum into a Registered user account temporarily and back again after attachment fixes are done?

(assuming this is actually the cause of the attachment replacement failure)

Comment

Working...
                      X