X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe D.
    replied
    Originally posted by ApexSpeed View Post
    That tip works very well, thank you. We had spam issues from .info domains and blocked the whole use of them, but a forum regular bought is own name as a domain.info and couldn't get into the forums after that. I did the whole alphabet, but also, don't forget numbers 0-9. You can also narrow window of opportunity for those domains to come in through your loophole window by adding another subset of domains to the one you left out, using the next to last letter in front of the last... i.e. I left out g.info to allow our user to come in, but could close down the hole by also adding to the ban list, ag.info, bg.info, cg.info, dg.info, eg.info, etc. and then leaving out the one that unblocks our users domain.

Good work-around, but this should be more simple to allow one domain into the forums from a global block of domain extensions.
    It would be a simple modification... but it's still a modification.

Leave a comment:

• ApexSpeed
    replied
    That tip works very well, thank you. We had spam issues from .info domains and blocked the whole use of them, but a forum regular bought is own name as a domain.info and couldn't get into the forums after that. I did the whole alphabet, but also, don't forget numbers 0-9. You can also narrow window of opportunity for those domains to come in through your loophole window by adding another subset of domains to the one you left out, using the next to last letter in front of the last... i.e. I left out g.info to allow our user to come in, but could close down the hole by also adding to the ban list, ag.info, bg.info, cg.info, dg.info, eg.info, etc. and then leaving out the one that unblocks our users domain.

Good work-around, but this should be more simple to allow one domain into the forums from a global block of domain extensions.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Clever.

Leave a comment:

• Jacqueline
    replied
    I found a 98% work-around for this that does not require modifying the code. I'll use test.com as the example domain. All domains ending with a letter other than m are banned by single letter. Next, all .com sub-domains ending in a letter other than t are banned.

Here is the example ban list:
    a b c d e f g h i j k l n o p q r s t u v w x y z a.com b.com c.com d.com e.com f.com g.com h.com i.com j.com k.com l.com m.com n.com o.com p.com q.com r.com s.com u.com v.com w.com x.com y.com z.com

It works like a champ! This blocks almost every domain that exists while still allowing test.com to work. It can be further expanded/refined as needed. I used this as I did not want to modify the vbulletin code.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Sorry there is no whitelist option in vB. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Leave a comment:

• trink79
    started a topic only allow registration from specific domain

only allow registration from specific domain

Is there a way to ban all email addresses except for a specific domain? We want to allow [email protected] only and ban everybody else.

I was able to accomplish this in phpBB by banning *@* and excluding *@domain.com. Is this possible with vBulletin? I searched the forums and the only answer I found was from 2001 saying it's not possible. I am hoping things have changed since then.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X