replied
    Leave it as it is. All you need to really change in the config is

Database name, database user / pass

the manual just over complicates the whole process

Leave a comment:

• cj911
    replied
    Thanks Steve. Keep an eye on me here.

New versions of MySQL (4.1+) have introduced some behaviors that are incompatible with vBulletin. These behaviors are enabled by default with MySQL 5. Setting this value to "true" disables those behaviors. You only need to modify this value if vBulletin recommends it.

Should I set this to True?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Just set it to mysqli. You will be get a message if this doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

• cj911
    replied
    Ok I have now got the upload folder into the public_html file on the server. Delighted that I have managed to do this and thanks to those who helped thus far and to those who talked me out of paying to have it installed (not because I saved some cash but because I have learn't a little).
    My server seems to be running PHP version 4.4.9 and mySQL version 5.0.67comunity log. The installation guide states:see below

MySQLi is an improved database layer for PHP 5 and MySQL 4.1+. It is strongly recommended that MySQLi be used if your MySQL server is at version 4.1 or higher. (mine is)
    Does anyone know, firstly if I need MySQLi to be used based on this info and secondly if I do is this something that needs to on the server or does it just mean changing some of the code as described in the mannual. I don't want to change any code to discover that MySQLi is software that I need on the server in addition to or instead of, MySQL if that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• cj911
    replied
    Sorry ignore that. It states it in the mannual. Just need to go back and change it now!

Leave a comment:

• cj911
    replied
    Thanks guys. I'm getting there slowly.

// ****** MASTER DATABASE USERNAME & PASSWORD ******
    // This is the username and password you use to access MySQL.
    // These must be obtained through your webhost.
    $config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'root';
    $config['MasterServer']['password'] = '';
    Do I delete the bits in red and enter the details there?

Leave a comment:

• kyrgyz
    replied
    Originally posted by cj911 View Post
    Thanks for that Joe.

Not sure what you mean by this though. I can make the database give full privileges but I'm not sure what is meant by insert the data to config.php (rename it from config.php.new)
    Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but could you elaborate on that part - Insert what data and where?
    He meant "database name", "database user", "database user password". These are set when you create your forum database.

Just sort of read down the config.php file and make the required changes. It's not hard at all. There is really nothing to it.

Leave a comment:

• cj911
    replied
    Thanks for that Joe.

Originally posted by iJoe View Post
    Question 1: Yes make the database, give full privileges and insert the data to config.php (rename it from config.php.new)
    Not sure what you mean by this though. I can make the database give full privileges but I'm not sure what is meant by insert the data to config.php (rename it from config.php.new)
    Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but could you elaborate on that part - Insert what data and where?

Leave a comment:

• iJoe
    replied
    Question 1: Yes make the database, give full privileges and insert the data to config.php (rename it from config.php.new)

2: It dosen't matter. It's most likely to get spammed with e-mails detailing mysql errors should your forum ever get one. Use something like [email protected]

3: Leave it as localhost unless told otherwise by your host (usually detailed in your welcome e-mail)

4: the one you give to the database user
    5: the one you give to the database user

6: yep, leave all inverted commas

Hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• cj911
    replied
    Originally posted by cj911 View Post
    Also which version should I download 3.8.0r2 or 3.7.4 I known 3.8 is 'unstable' but I'm not sure what exactly this means. I'm assuming it means theres a few bugs. I will probably spend a few weeks messing about with my new toy and I'm not upgrading with lots of users and posts etc so would I be better just going with 3.8 and are the skins etc that are available compatible with 3.8

Hoping someone will answer as previously posted this although what I copied and pasted got broken up so maybe it was hard to read. At the minute its like having a new toy on Christmas day with no batteries to run it.
    Sorry ignore this part of the question. got the answer here http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...67&postcount=1

Leave a comment:

• cj911
    started a topic Can someone please help?

Can someone please help?

Hi I have just purchased VB and I am going to attempt to download and install.
    On reading the installation guide I was wondering if someone could answer this (I have copied & Pasted the relevant section) My web hosting uses Cpanel.

I have another peice of community type software installed on the site/server which seems to have 2 MySql Dbs associated with it.

Editing the config.php file is one of the few times in vBulletin where you will need to edit raw PHP code. The file is heavily commented in order to help you fill in the necessary information.
    Of the settings in this file, only a few need to be edited in order to create a working vBulletin configuration file. These settings are: $config['Database']['dbname']This value should be altered to state the name of the database that will contain your vBulletin installation on the database server.
    Should I create a new MySql Db through the wizzard in the Cpanel for this? and if so should I select "Allow all priviliges?"

$config['Database']['technicalemail']An email address should be entered here. All database error messages will be forwarded to the email address provided.
    Is it best practice to use an email address not associated with the domain or does it not matter?

$config['MasterServer']['servername']
    This sets the address of your database server. On most installations the database server is located on the same computer as the web server, in which case the address should be set to 'localhost', otherwise use the address of the database server as supplied by your web host.
    Both on same server Do I simply type in 'localhost'?

$config['MasterServer']['username']
    This variable contains the username provided to you by your host for connecting to your database server.
    Is this the username I use to access Cpanel or is it the username that I give the new MySql database? (assuming I was right at the begining in that I need to create a new Db)

$config['MasterServer']['password']
    The password that accompanies the database username should be entered here.
    Is this one the Db password which I give to the new Db??

And in all cases do I actually keep the inverted comma's?

Also which version should I download 3.8.0r2 or 3.7.4 I known 3.8 is 'unstable' but I'm not sure what exactly this means. I'm assuming it means theres a few bugs. I will probably spend a few weeks messing about with my new toy and I'm not upgrading with lots of users and posts etc so would I be better just going with 3.8 and are the skins etc that are available compatible with 3.8

Hoping someone will answer as previously posted this although what I copied and pasted got broken up so maybe it was hard to read. At the minute its like having a new toy on Christmas day with no batteries to run it.