Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database Too Big

Hello,

I can't seem to find the right search terms to help me.

I am moving from one server to another - and they want to charge me extra for restoring the db cause it's close to 300 megs.

Doing some snooping around, I found out that my database is storing pictures, so I am in the process of changing that to store pics on the server.

My question however is about the file in the db called: postedithistory

That seems to be my LARGEST file (162 megs) and if I could find out what it was, and why it's there and if there was a way to make it smaller, I wouldn't have to ask my new host to help me restore. I could do a restore using phpmyadmin.

The other LARGE files are these:

post (61)
    postparsed (16)
    attachment (11)
    picture (9)

If I could manage those, I could do this all by myself. Do any of you have any ideas on how I could manage these files? Make them smaller?

Thank you!

Biz

I would find a better host if they're going to charge you to restore a database based on its size.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
      I would find a better host if they're going to charge you to restore a database based on its size.
      I appreciate that, but is there a way you could help me with my question? Could you possibly tell me what postedithistory is? What it does? Is it necessary for it to be that big? Are there things I could do to make it smaller?

I would like to be able to do this myself, and I am trying to learn how to optimize my database.

Thank you.

Biz

Comment

post edit history, is just waht it sounds like, it is the edit history of posts.

postparsed could be cleaned, it will naturally rebuild itself over time

attachments and pictures are both storage of binary files and optionally can be stored outside of the database.

However, if a host has a problem with your 300mb database, what happens when you need to move again and its 500mb?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
          post edit history, is just waht it sounds like, it is the edit history of posts.

postparsed could be cleaned, it will naturally rebuild itself over time

attachments and pictures are both storage of binary files and optionally can be stored outside of the database.

However, if a host has a problem with your 300mb database, what happens when you need to move again and its 500mb?
          Thank you Zachery, because money is tight right now we have to do what we have to do.

My next question for you or anyone...is postedithistory something I can clean out? Is that necessary to stay?

Comment

And one more question if possible.

Is there somewhere I can turn off this function?

Comment

Originally posted by BizAdventure View Post
              And one more question if possible.

Is there somewhere I can turn off this function?
              Ok, I found the answer to my own question here.

But I have yet to be able to determine if I can empty that table? Could someone help me? Can I clear the postedithistory table?

Comment

I sure could use some help, if someone could please answer this question?

Can I clear the postedithistory table? I have turned off the function.

Thank you,

Biz

Comment

If you don't want the data, then yes.

Comment

Thank you, that helped!

Comment

So, its OK to just zap this file if you aren't worried about retaining the edit history on your posts? I.E. the posts will stay as they are in the forum, but the record of any edits will be removed? Just want to be sure before I clear / delete the file.

Thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X