Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank Images

Hi,

I'm aware rank images use paths rather than URL's. Is it possible to change this behaviour, so that URLs can be used?

If not, is it possible to use paths such as "../xyz"?

The reason I'm asking is because the server admin is away and can't grant us FTP access, but we have CMS access to an images folder. We were hoping to just upload to that folder, and then use the proper path to link to.

We've tried everything we can think of including the .. variety and the /var/www/domain/public_html... variety but nothing seems to be working.

Thanks in advance.

You can use full URLs and relative web paths. For example:

http://www.yoursite.com/images/rank.gif

Or:

../images/rank.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
      You can use full URLs and relative web paths. For example:

http://www.yoursite.com/images/rank.gif

Or:

../images/rank.gif
      I try entering an http://address and vBulletin gives me
      "Invalid File Path Specified"

This is vB 3.7.4 PL1, mysql 5.0.51a-community, php v5.2.6 on a linux box running apache2handler.

(He and I are talking about the same site)

Comment

Weird. I guess you have to use a path instead. It will work the same.

Comment

I'm also having a somewhat similar problem, though, I'm a brand new owner and admin of a forum.

I want to use rank images as we used to do before, and in the Manual I do not understand this message:

User rank file path:
          Enter a file path to an image for this rank. The path should be relative to your main forum directory. For example, if the image you want for this rank is named rank.gif and you upload it to the images directory within your forum directory then you would enter: images/rank.gif

My question is maybe simple, but where is and how do I upload to the images directory within my forum?

Second question is a related problem: I have given all the same written ranks as we used on our previous board, BUT, since I'm admin and the Admiral of the board, I show up with two ranks:

CV AdmiralCV2nd Officer

How do I get the admin (me) to be excluded (not show) 2nd Officer (second rank)?

Anyone able to and wanting to guide the novice I am on the right path, will be recommended to Santa Claus himself directly.

Comment

You need to use a FTP program to connect to your server to upload rank images. Here is the program I use:

http://filezilla-project.org/

Ranks are assigned by group. You would need to remove yourself from the group that has the rank you don't want.

Comment

You need to use a FTP program to connect to your server to upload rank images. Here is the program I use:

http://filezilla-project.org/

Ranks are assigned by group. You would need to remove yourself from the group that has the rank you don't want.
              I have now done that but further I have no clue what to do.. is it really this technical, with no easy way?

I think I may have to give up until I get some pro-help at home maybe....

Comment

Weird. I guess you have to use a path instead. It will work the same.
                Thing is we don't have FTP access to the forum/ directory, only a directory above that. So the path would have to be either the full path or "../../ourownimagefolder/rank.jpg"

Can you confirm if we can use a path outside the forum directory?

Comment

Yes you should be able to use relative paths. Although you really should have FTP access to the forum directory if you are going to admin the forum.

Comment

Yes you should be able to use relative paths. Although you really should have FTP access to the forum directory if you are going to admin the forum.
                    Getting FTP is a work in progress

Okay, I'm thinking the permissions are set up somehow to prevent us doing this. However, I've discovered a workaround, by simply using an html img tag. Tacky but it works.

Comment

Personally, I absolutely hate how this functions.

But after 30 minutes of frustration and trial and error. I tried:

./images/rank1.gif

Worked.

The key: ./images/rank1.gif

Would be nice if vBulletin updated the help notes to accurately reflect the correct way of providing the file path.

Comment

Originally posted by Markro View Post
                        Personally, I absolutely hate how this functions.

But after 30 minutes of frustration and trial and error. I tried:

./images/rank1.gif

Worked.

The key: ./images/rank1.gif

Would be nice if vBulletin updated the help notes to accurately reflect the correct way of providing the file path.
                        Hmm, that shouldn't really be necessary. What distro of linux are you running on the server? Most mainstream ones don't require ./ to indicate current directory.

Comment