X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScottiG
    replied
    OK, I think I have the problem fixed!

Before I divulge the "fix" that worked for me, I will say that it has been a VERY FRUSTRATING experience trying to get this worked out. I have spent many sleepless nights online looking for someone, anyone, that "had" this problem but found a way to fix it. Many emails, PM's, many dead ends in my quest.

As mentioned before, I tried EVERYTHING anyone has suggested to me, to no avail. Then a thought hit me... the folks from VBulletin keep claiming it is NOT a problem with VBulletin and it must be a third party related issue, BUT as I mentioned, this started happening IMMEDIATELY after a VBulletin update, so "I" was a bit more skeptical that it had "nothing" to do with VBulletin itself. Not that I thought there was an inherent problem, but perhaps a link somewhere that caused the issue.

As it turns out, Lynne actually hit the nail on the head, but I only got to read her post once I got excited to sing on and post what "my" findings were...

Here is what I did...

I randomly "disabled" all my RSS feeds one at a time, then ran the "run now" feature to see if I could find a "bad feed" causing the problem... One by one I disabled my feeds hoping that one would be the culprit, but as you probably guessed, I got down to just one enabled feed and of course it worked fine (as it has since this problem stopped) - As long as I had just ONE feed enabled I could update manually, but it still would not update automatically...

Well, then I made the decision to "delete" ALL the feeds one by one using the same strategy to see if I could get more than one to update... NOPE!

The "fix" for me was to delete ALL the RSS feeds (carefully taking notes on the URL of each so I could replace them EXACTLY as they were before) - And BINGO BINGO BINGO! - ALL my feeds work as they should!

Here is the kicker.. I have ALL my forum mods installed, VBA to 3.1, VBulletin to 3.7.4 and ALL my other mods installed EXACTLY as they were before and the feeds are working 100% perfectly - So, now "I" am convinced that this issue IS NOT server related but IS (in fact) related to some nuance in VBulletin that either changed somewhere in the transition between 3.6.8 and now, or perhaps the update/transition itself breaks the pre-existing RSS feed function somehow? On that thought, consider this, I did try adding NEW, feeds while the old ones were still there and they would not work either - It was only after I deleted ALL my pre-existing feeds, then re-installed them, that it started working for me again.

Quite frankly, I don't care to know what the nuance is (guess I am a little bitter over all the stuff I have been through trying to get this resolved and being told over and over and over that it is NOT VBulletin) but all I do care about is that I have found a fix for this issue and I want to make sure that anyone else having this issue has this information available to them.

Hopefully it will save someone the sleepless nights I have lost, and perhaps they can better enjoy the hours that I spent working to get to the bottom of this "supposed" non-existent issue.

So Lynne, I wish I had contact with you several months ago, I wish yours was one of the first suggestions I would have tried... Heck, I wish I got to read your suggestion before finding it out for myself - BUT, a HUGE KUDOS goes out to you for having it correct!

Anyway, my sincerest thanks to everyone that provided input and offered suggestions - I honestly gave each one a try but unfortunately none of the suggestions worked for me.

It would be great if VBulletin would take this information and add it to a troubleshooting area as a possible fix for this issue. in fact, considering how labor intensive most of the other suggestions have been, this should be the FIRST fix anyone with this issue should try.

Again, my sincerest thanks to all that offered help and support!

Happy New Year to all!

Scott

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    Also, have you tried deleting the feed from the RSS Feed Manager, waiting a couple of hours, and then adding it again?

Leave a comment:

• Hatsu
    replied
    Do you have an URL to one of those RSS feeds so I can test it?

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by ScottiG View Post
    I tried both ways - First I simply disabled all add ons, then I did a full re-install with no mods whatsoever.
    Provided you uploaded the files and installed it , the old xml files
    are still untouched in the xml folder.

Leave a comment:

• ScottiG
    replied
    It is just strange that it was all working fine, then just simply stopped updating the day I did a VBulletin update - All I keep getting for a response is that it is NOT VBulletin, yet nobody seems to have THE answer as to what IT is. While I want to believe it is an add on causing the problem, I question why the feature stopped working immediately following a VBulletin update? There has to be something in VBulletin that changed the way this feature works, I have no other explanation for it.

I just wish I could find someone that "had" the same issue I am having but resolved it, and so far I have not come across anyone that has worked it out yet.

That is why I was hoping that the VBulletin team could provide some insight as to what "may" have changed between the versions, that would provide a lead to where to look for a solution.

Leave a comment:

• ScottiG
    replied
    I tried both ways - First I simply disabled all add ons, then I did a full re-install with no mods whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Keep in mind, I have disabled all third party add ons already and still had the problem.
    Have you removed their xml files?

Leave a comment:

• ScottiG
    replied
    Keep in mind, I have disabled all third party add ons already and still had the problem.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Does it matter that I am running VBA?
    Yes,that is a third party addon.

Leave a comment:

• ScottiG
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions...

I have already tried removing all third party add-ons, in fact, I went so far as to completely re-install Vbulletin. Before I did that, I had also tried reverting the footer template to see if that was the cause as the task does not run automatically - But that did not help either.

This is really getting to me - I have been working on getting this right for months now, and I have been working quite intensely for the past couple of weeks, and VERY intensely for the past 48 hours - I have been in constant contact with the support team from my hosting company, and I have tried every suggestion I could find here and elsewhere - There HAS to be a solution, and I am guessing it is a simple one. Something that is being overlooked.

It really sucks having old RSS threads on your home page and in other areas of the site, it makes the site look abandoned, and quite frankly I would not spend much time at my site if I were a new visitor either.

Does it matter that I am running VBA? (again, this always worked before upgrading to 3.7.2) - Actually, I am wondering if the feeds last worked in 3.6.8? It has been so long since they were auto updating that I have actually forgotten when they last did.

Was there anything that could have changed between 3.6.8 and the 3.7 versions that "could" cause this?

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    IMMEDIATELY after one of the VBulletin upgrades (several upgrades ago) - Which has me thinking that VBulletin did something differently to handle RSS feeds, or scheduled tasks - Is there any possibility this is the case?
    Could some template edit cause it?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    The specific suggestions are:

1. Have your host check the server logs for connections to that RSS server.

2. Remove any third-party add-ons you have installed to vB.

Leave a comment:

• ScottiG
    replied
    Aside from your suggestion to have my hosting company check the server logs, do you have any idea what I should be looking for specifically? They claim an error free log, but what specifically would cause the issues I am having?

Server timeouts?
    Not enough memory available to run this task?

And why did this function stop working with the upgrade from a previous version of VBulletin? As I mentioned in a previous post, ALL the feeds were working 100% before I upgraded (several upgrades ago) - Is there something specifically that changed in VBulletin that handles the function of the RSS poster robot? - Perhaps that would give me some direction as to where to look?

Is there anyone else within the VBulletin team that has experience with problematic RSS feeds? A quick online search for "RSS feeds not updating VBulletin" returns a significant number of seemingly unresolved issues quite similar to mine - There has to be a common cause. It is irrelevant to me if it is VBulletin related or server related, what is relevant is a documented fix to resolve the issue, which would benefit ALL VBulletin users having the same problem.

Is there someone at VBulletin I can work with (supply my admin log-in info) to see what we can come up with? How far has VBulletin gone to resolve this issue with those that have trouble with it in the past?

Lastly, with so many people having this issue, why is there not a documented fix to resolve the issue? Regardless if it is server related or not, why is there not a "do this to fix the problem" solution available? While there are a few people that have fixed this issue with recommendations from others (all of which I have tried to no avail) it seems there are many more unresolved cases than resolved ones.

While I am not discounting your thoughts that this is server related, I cannot let go of the fact that this started happening IMMEDIATELY after one of the VBulletin upgrades (several upgrades ago) - Which has me thinking that VBulletin did something differently to handle RSS feeds, or scheduled tasks - Is there any possibility this is the case?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Unfortunately the same info I provided in post #2 is still applicable. I don't have any further insights. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• ScottiG
    replied
    One more observation worth mentioning...

As I mentioned, I can update one feed at a time if I deselect akll other feeds and run the robot manually, however, I just realized that each time the task is run, it does not append the "most recent" RSS items with those already downloaded, instead it reloads all the avaialable items, then adds them to the thread, so what you end up with is a LOT of redundant posts.

For example, lets say you ran the robot four days ago, the thread would look like this... (just a short list of items as an example)

item 5
    item 4
    item 3
    item 2
    item 1

The you run it the day after you get...

item 7
    item 6
    item 5
    item 4
    item 3
    item 2
    item 1
    item 5
    item 4
    item 3
    item 2
    item 1

The the next day...

item 10
    item 9
    item 8
    item 7
    item 6
    item 5
    item 4
    item 3
    item 2
    item 1
    item 5
    item 4
    item 3
    item 2
    item 1
    item 7
    item 6
    item 5
    item 4
    item 3
    item 2
    item 1
    item 5
    item 4
    item 3
    item 2
    item 1

and so on...

This has created a very large thread of redundant posts.

Does this provide any insight to what may be happening?

Again, thank you very much for any help.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X