RSS feeds stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScottiG View Post
    I tried both ways - First I simply disabled all add ons, then I did a full re-install with no mods whatsoever.
    Provided you uploaded the files and installed it , the old xml files
    are still untouched in the xml folder.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Do you have an URL to one of those RSS feeds so I can test it?

Comment

Also, have you tried deleting the feed from the RSS Feed Manager, waiting a couple of hours, and then adding it again?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

OK, I think I have the problem fixed!

Before I divulge the "fix" that worked for me, I will say that it has been a VERY FRUSTRATING experience trying to get this worked out. I have spent many sleepless nights online looking for someone, anyone, that "had" this problem but found a way to fix it. Many emails, PM's, many dead ends in my quest.

As mentioned before, I tried EVERYTHING anyone has suggested to me, to no avail. Then a thought hit me... the folks from VBulletin keep claiming it is NOT a problem with VBulletin and it must be a third party related issue, BUT as I mentioned, this started happening IMMEDIATELY after a VBulletin update, so "I" was a bit more skeptical that it had "nothing" to do with VBulletin itself. Not that I thought there was an inherent problem, but perhaps a link somewhere that caused the issue.

As it turns out, Lynne actually hit the nail on the head, but I only got to read her post once I got excited to sing on and post what "my" findings were...

Here is what I did...

I randomly "disabled" all my RSS feeds one at a time, then ran the "run now" feature to see if I could find a "bad feed" causing the problem... One by one I disabled my feeds hoping that one would be the culprit, but as you probably guessed, I got down to just one enabled feed and of course it worked fine (as it has since this problem stopped) - As long as I had just ONE feed enabled I could update manually, but it still would not update automatically...

Well, then I made the decision to "delete" ALL the feeds one by one using the same strategy to see if I could get more than one to update... NOPE!

The "fix" for me was to delete ALL the RSS feeds (carefully taking notes on the URL of each so I could replace them EXACTLY as they were before) - And BINGO BINGO BINGO! - ALL my feeds work as they should!

Here is the kicker.. I have ALL my forum mods installed, VBA to 3.1, VBulletin to 3.7.4 and ALL my other mods installed EXACTLY as they were before and the feeds are working 100% perfectly - So, now "I" am convinced that this issue IS NOT server related but IS (in fact) related to some nuance in VBulletin that either changed somewhere in the transition between 3.6.8 and now, or perhaps the update/transition itself breaks the pre-existing RSS feed function somehow? On that thought, consider this, I did try adding NEW, feeds while the old ones were still there and they would not work either - It was only after I deleted ALL my pre-existing feeds, then re-installed them, that it started working for me again.

Quite frankly, I don't care to know what the nuance is (guess I am a little bitter over all the stuff I have been through trying to get this resolved and being told over and over and over that it is NOT VBulletin) but all I do care about is that I have found a fix for this issue and I want to make sure that anyone else having this issue has this information available to them.

Hopefully it will save someone the sleepless nights I have lost, and perhaps they can better enjoy the hours that I spent working to get to the bottom of this "supposed" non-existent issue.

So Lynne, I wish I had contact with you several months ago, I wish yours was one of the first suggestions I would have tried... Heck, I wish I got to read your suggestion before finding it out for myself - BUT, a HUGE KUDOS goes out to you for having it correct!

Anyway, my sincerest thanks to everyone that provided input and offered suggestions - I honestly gave each one a try but unfortunately none of the suggestions worked for me.

It would be great if VBulletin would take this information and add it to a troubleshooting area as a possible fix for this issue. in fact, considering how labor intensive most of the other suggestions have been, this should be the FIRST fix anyone with this issue should try.

Again, my sincerest thanks to all that offered help and support!

Happy New Year to all!

Scott

Comment

If you have found this thread because you are having this problem, and this fix worked for you, please let others know by adding a brief comment below.

Hope I have helped!

Scott

Comment

I had the exact same problem. Nothing worked until I deleted all my feeds and re-added them. Things are working great now. I had the same problem when I upgraded so must be something with the upgrade itself.

Comment

I'm having the same problem now all of a sudden. I'll try the fix, but it's gonna be a killer... ughh.

Comment

I REALLY don't want to delete all my feeds and re-add them... Is there any workaround? For my example, every time someone makes a new blog it gets added to the forum as a post. I don't want to delete a million new threads.... I have 5 different feeds. It's gonna be a pain. I haven't upgraded yet to 3.8.1 yet either... (3.8.0) is my version. Stuff stopped working on the 27th for me.

Comment

Oh, BTW, I was getting error messages... So I disabled all feeds. Then re-enabled them. Then when I run the process it doesn't give me an error message, but it still doesn't post new items.

Comment

I'm getting this error now:
                      Warning: Unable to fetch RSS Feed in [path]/includes/class_rss_poster.php on line 231
                      P-Net Blogs Unable to open URL or no data returned

Warning: Unable to fetch RSS Feed in [path]/includes/class_rss_poster.php on line 231
                      Library Unable to open URL or no data returned
                      These feeds have not been touched at all in many months. They are also all feeds provided by vbulletin / vbadvanced products.

Comment

That error is pretty clear. Your server cannot connect to the server for those feeds. Not much vB can do about this I'm afraid.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                          That error is pretty clear. Your server cannot connect to the server for those feeds. Not much vB can do about this I'm afraid.
                          Can you give me any idea why it CAN connect to two of those feeds and it CANNOT connect to the other two? They are all vbulletin powered feeds. They have been untouched for many months. There was no upgrade or change of any kind when they all of a sudden stopped working.

Comment

The server itself is unable to connect to the feed, it has nothing to do with the software specificly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                              The server itself is unable to connect to the feed, it has nothing to do with the software specificly.
                              It's local to the server. Also, I can connect to the feed with lynx on the server itself. Do you think it could be a php issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Gill View Post
                                It's local to the server. Also, I can connect to the feed with lynx on the server itself. Do you think it could be a php issue?
                                BTW, here is a feed that does not work..
                                http://www.predestinarian.net/forum/blog_external.php

Here is a feed that DOES work.
                                http://www.predestinarian.net/links/external.php

So, tell me, do you think it's a server problem still, or is it software related?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X