Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to make 3 character searches work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    If you are using the default vB search, you will need to rebuild the search index.

Note: Common words are not indexed. You can see which words these are in the includes/searchwords.php file.

If you are running Fulltext search, the MySQL fulltext search has a 4 character minimum word length by default. This can only be changed on the server level. There are also a number of 'stopwords' that are considered common and not indexed.

Here are the instructions for changing the default 4 character minimum in MySQL's full text search indexing:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...57&postcount=7

Here's the list of MySQL stopwords that will not be indexed:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...stopwords.html

Leave a comment:

• Marty McFly
    replied
    Originally posted by Justin98TransAm View Post
    AdminCP>Vbulletin Options>Message Search Optinos>Search Index Minimum Word Length
    That's set to 3....it's accepting it, just not posting any results from it (so basically not working).

Leave a comment:

• Justin98TransAm
    replied
    Originally posted by Marty McFly View Post
    On my forum there are a lot of acronyms that people might search for that are 3 letters like FTP, CSS, PHP, etc. When you run a search on my board though, it straight up says that there are no matches....but I know that's just not possible.

What can I do to fix this?
    AdminCP>Vbulletin Options>Message Search Optinos>Search Index Minimum Word Length

Leave a comment:

• Marty McFly
    started a topic Any way to make 3 character searches work?

Any way to make 3 character searches work?

On my forum there are a lot of acronyms that people might search for that are 3 letters like FTP, CSS, PHP, etc. When you run a search on my board though, it straight up says that there are no matches....but I know that's just not possible.

What can I do to fix this?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X