Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to make 3 character searches work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to make 3 character searches work?

On my forum there are a lot of acronyms that people might search for that are 3 letters like FTP, CSS, PHP, etc. When you run a search on my board though, it straight up says that there are no matches....but I know that's just not possible.

What can I do to fix this?

Originally posted by Marty McFly View Post
    On my forum there are a lot of acronyms that people might search for that are 3 letters like FTP, CSS, PHP, etc. When you run a search on my board though, it straight up says that there are no matches....but I know that's just not possible.

What can I do to fix this?
    AdminCP>Vbulletin Options>Message Search Optinos>Search Index Minimum Word Length

Comment

Originally posted by Justin98TransAm View Post
      AdminCP>Vbulletin Options>Message Search Optinos>Search Index Minimum Word Length
      That's set to 3....it's accepting it, just not posting any results from it (so basically not working).

Comment

If you are using the default vB search, you will need to rebuild the search index.

Note: Common words are not indexed. You can see which words these are in the includes/searchwords.php file.

If you are running Fulltext search, the MySQL fulltext search has a 4 character minimum word length by default. This can only be changed on the server level. There are also a number of 'stopwords' that are considered common and not indexed.

Here are the instructions for changing the default 4 character minimum in MySQL's full text search indexing:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...57&postcount=7

Here's the list of MySQL stopwords that will not be indexed:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...stopwords.html
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X