Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Usergroup permission

Hi,

Here is a simple example of using additional usergoup on a member that I cannot get to work.

I have 2 usergroups:
    - Standard
    - VIP

I have title "Standard" for the usergroup Standard.
    I have title "VIP" for the usergroup VIP, and have ticked the box to allow overwritting of the primary group title.

1. I put John in the usergroup standard as primary
    I check his title, he is shown as Standard

2. I put John in the usergroup VIP as primary
    I check his title, he is shown as VIP

3. I put John in the usergroup standard as primary and tick VIP as additional usergroup
    I check his title, he is shown as Standard instead of VIP

I browsed around the forum and found some bug reports on VB3.2, so I would expect those to be fixed by now.
    Am I missing something?

After adding him to the secondary group you need to edit his profile again and set his Display Usergroup to the secondary group. Then rebuild your user titles:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Update Counters -> Update User Titles and Ranks

Comment

Thanks for the info, that did the trick.
      Is there something similar to do when some extra permissions defined in the secondary group are not applied to the user?

Comment

Nope. Permissions are applied immediately. It's just those titles and ranks that are cached and sometimes need to be rebuilt.

Comment

Hmmm, then for some unknown reasons the permissions of the secondary group are not taken into account.
          And actually, I still have the problem with the user title not being correct even after rebuilding the cache as suggested. I didn't test properly last night.
          So conclusion, whatever is in my secondary group (title or permissions) is simply ignored.
          Any pointers?

Comment

The primary group must have 'Allow Users to have Member Groups' to 'Yes'. Otherwise the secondary settings are not applicable.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks. So the conclusion is that not only there is a config parameter to set in the secondary group to override primary group, there is also a config parameter in the primary group so the latter gets overridden by the secondary parameter settings.

For the Ranks and Titles, despite rebuilding those from the Maintenance/Update Counter section for the change to appear, I still get the title of the primary group, not the secondary one.
              "Can override primary group title/markup" is set to Yes in secondary group.
              Last edited by JulienT; Mon 17 Nov '08, 7:51am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X