Backup Path Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Path Question

I'm sure I'm missing something stupid on this but I'm a n00b to this. I'm using puTTy and SSH to take a backup. I tried to take one using the first line from the manual found here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

Which is:
    mysqldump --opt -Q -u dbusername -p databasename > backupname.sql

And of course I changed the things in bold to the correct things, hit enter and it asked for a password. I entered the password and my website got real slow so I figured it was making a backup. When my forum speed came back to normal I figured the backup was done so I went and checked on the FTP and nothing was there.

So, I decided to try and put the backup in a certain location using the second line out of the manual. Problem is I don't know how to tell it where to put the backup. When I put something after the > I either get it telling me that xxx is a directory or no such file or directory exist.

If I put in /home/backups/, it says Backups is a directory. But if I put in /home/backups/backup.sql I get it saying No Such File or Directory. So I don't know what to do, what am I doing wrong?

That just means you aren't entering a valid location.

When specifying a backup location this can help:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> View PHP info

You will see a setting at the bottom of this page called DOCUMENT_ROOT. You can do a CTRL + F to search for it. This setting reveals the full server path to the web root. For example:

/home/yoursite/public_html

That can help you to know the full path to the backup folder you created.

Comment

Thanks Jake.

I done what you said, entered it how I thought would be correct and got the prompt to enter password again. I entered the password, so we will see. Will the file just appear in the said folder if everything went through correctly? My database is probably huge since it contains a ton of images and things, I may have to take the images out to be better off.

Thanks for your quick help.

Comment

It worked!!!!

Thanks a ton Jake. My database is 1.34 gig, shew we. My forum isn't big at all but we do have a lot of pics and things uploaded into it. Should we export the images and things out of the database so it will be easier to manage?

Comment

Those post attachments can really add up. If you are experiencing slow forum performance then you might benefit from moving those attachments into the file system. Otherwise I personally prefer keeping them in the database:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/attachment_storage

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X