Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems converting forum to UTF8 (all text gone)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Problems converting forum to UTF8 (all text gone)

    I am trying to convert my forum to UTF8.
    • My database is set to UTF-8
      Code:
      ALTER DATABASE `db_name` CHARACTER SET utf8;
    • My tables are set to collate utf8_unicode_ci
    • I have changed the language settings in adminCP to UTF-8


    This is done, however, the characters are malformed.

    I then changed the config.php file and changed the database connection type to MySQLi. I created a mysqli.ini file with the folowing code and placed it in the /includes/ directory:

    Code:
    [client]
    default-character-set=utf8
    The problem is however, when I activate this mysqli.ini file OR activate the charset setting in the config.php file:

    Code:
    $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8';
    
    $config['Mysqli']['ini_file'] = '/home/webadmin/domain.com/html/includes/mysqli.ini';
    .. all text will be gone from my forum. It will simply not display any text anymore, not just malformed characters. Even redirection phrases are missing.

    What could be the cause for this? Does vBulletin fully support UTF-8 yet?

    Best Regards,
    Jan Jaap

  • #2
    I have found the solution. When I rebuilt all languages the error was gone.

    You can test to see the connection settings of your database by running the following query from Admin CP (Maintainance -> Execute SQL query)

    Code:
    SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'char%'
    If your client connection settings are difrent from the database setting, you will need to use the ini configuration as stated above for it to work.

    I am currently not using the utf8 option in the config:

    PHP Code:
    //$config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8'; 
    .. and the UTF characters are displayed perfectly now.

    Comment

    Related Topics

    Collapse

    Working...
    X