• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvattika
    replied
    Originally posted by shimotori View Post
    How do you delete a user through the Admin panel? Thx
    I will ask the same question if you don't mind.

Leave a comment:

• shimotori
    replied
    How do you delete a user through the Admin panel? Thx

Leave a comment:

• gazzak
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    And right under that is says this:

If you want to prune all the user's messages first, please click here.
    Yes Steve, you're absolutely correct, but due to the way it's formatted on screen I've always overlooked it. Just double checked what you said and sure enough there it was.

Thanks all for the help, excellent as always.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by gazzak View Post
    Just went to delete this user and received this message...

Are you sure you want to delete the user called 'xxx-xxxxxx'?
    (userid: xx)

All posts made by this user will be set to 'Guest'

This action cannot be undone.
    And right under that is says this:

If you want to prune all the user's messages first, please click here.

Leave a comment:

• gazzak
    replied
    Good stuff Andy, never knew about that one. Just running it now and it appears to be doing exactly what I want. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    You can easily delete all his posts using the 'Prune by Username' function in Admin CP.

Admin CP > Threads & Posts > Prune > Prune by Username

Once his posts are all gone then you can delete the users account.

Leave a comment:

• gazzak
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    Another option is to remove all the profile information and rename the member to something else. For example "user143511" or similar. The number comes from the userid number. This way you don't have threads with missing posts and quoted text to posts that are no longer there. In addition to the rename of the member you can run a query to fix the quoted posts.

UPDATE post SET pagetext = REPLACE(pagetext, '=gazzak', '=user143511')

Doing this you have the option to undo the name change if the user decides to come back.
    Thanks for the sugegstion Andy, but the user in question in a long standing and well known user. His posts would still be obvious. It's deletion or nothing I'm afraid, I've explored every other possibility with him but it has to be this.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by gazzak View Post
    Hi all,

I have a request from a user that I remove their account and all posts they've ever made. This is a genuine request, no pee'd off user or anything like that, but someone whos new job will conflict greatly with his past forum useage.

So what is the best way to delete this user so that all of his 2000+ posts go too. In the past, any user I've deleted has always left their posts up but not associated with anyone, and I don't want this in this case.
    Another option is to remove all the profile information and rename the member to something else. For example "user143511" or similar. The number comes from the userid number. This way you don't have threads with missing posts and quoted text to posts that are no longer there. In addition to the rename of the member you can run a query to fix the quoted posts.

UPDATE post SET pagetext = REPLACE(pagetext, '=gazzak', '=user143511')

Doing this you have the option to undo the name change if the user decides to come back.

Leave a comment:

• gazzak
    replied
    Just went to delete this user and received this message...

Are you sure you want to delete the user called 'xxx-xxxxxx'?
    (userid: xx)

All posts made by this user will be set to 'Guest'

This action cannot be undone.

I received no choice about deleting all posts, so I have postponed the deletion as rhe above is not acceptable in this case. What am I missing?

Leave a comment:

• gazzak
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    When you delete a user in the Admin CP you are given the option of deleting his posts at the same time. Just choose that option.
    Thanks Steve, it's just when I've used this option before the posts remain but with guest as the poster. Not tried it in 3.7 yet, but will give it a go.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    When you delete a user in the Admin CP you are given the option of deleting his posts at the same time. Just choose that option.

Leave a comment:

• gazzak
    started a topic Best way of completely wiping a user and posts

Best way of completely wiping a user and posts

Hi all,

I have a request from a user that I remove their account and all posts they've ever made. This is a genuine request, no pee'd off user or anything like that, but someone whos new job will conflict greatly with his past forum useage.

So what is the best way to delete this user so that all of his 2000+ posts go too. In the past, any user I've deleted has always left their posts up but not associated with anyone, and I don't want this in this case.