Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from 2.3.0 to latest stable

Greetings,

I have an old vBulletin installation that is heavily modded running vbhome lite as a frontend. I'm getting ready to migrate this site to a new host, replace the frontend with something non-integrated and upgrade the forum to the latest 3.x.x stable.

I've found some info on this while browsing the forums, but several posts are contradicting so I wanted to ask the question again.

What will I need to do to upgrade a 2.3.0 forum to the latest 3.x.x stable, in this case 3.7.x? Do I have to upgrade my forum to 2.3.5 as suggested in other threads or does 3.7 support upgradring from 2.3.0?

My plan was to download the latest 3.7 package and upload to new server, do a dump of the current MySQL db and import into MySQL server on new host, then run the upgrade script against it. Is that the best scenario here?

I would do the upgrading to 3.7 first on your current server, then do the database dump and then import a 3.7.x database.

Additionally, I would upgrade up to 2.3.11 to be safe and then go to 3.7.x, of course you need an active vBulletin license to do all of this. If your license is expired for more than 60 days then you will need to pay $60 to renew it.

Comment

So you would upgrade the 2.3.0 version to 2.3.11 at it's current home, then dump the database. The new server has copies of all the files. Instead of importing the new database I was planning on trying an upgrade on the shadow copy at the new site.

To clarify my question; once the current 2.3.0 is set up at it's new site are you suggesting I upgrade it to 2.3.11, then to 3.7.0, then to the latest version?

Comment

You do not need to upgrade to 2.3.11 before upgrading to 3.x. 2.2.9 I believe has the last schema changed in the 2.x serries. So you can upgrade directly to the 3x branches now.

Comment

Well, I got the db copied over to a shadow copy for testing and when I enter the upgrade system I get the following message:

It is not possible to upgrade directly from vBulletin 2 to vBulletin versions 3.7.x and newer due to incompatabilities in data structures.
          If you are currently running vBulletin 2 and would like to upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin, please begin by downloading a version of vBulletin 3.6 from the vBulletin Members' Area.
          Upload the extracted files from the archive you download over the existing files here and run the upgrade process until it is complete.
          After completing the upgrade process to 3.6.x, download the most recent version of vBulletin from the Members' area, and upload the extracted files here, then continue to run the upgrade process until it is completed
          So I guess I cannot upgrade from 2.3.0 to 3.7.x but I will try 3.6.x next.

Comment

Sorry about that, Yes. 3.6 first then.

Comment

For those who want to know, upgrading a 2.3.0 board to 3.6.x went smooth after running the database compat check and getting rid of a few red flags due to customization. The upgrade from 3.6.x to 3.7.x was a walk in the park after that.

Thanks to the vB guys for your help.

Comment

Well apparently I spoke way too soon. After doing what I thought was a successful upgrade to 3.7.x turns out the forum is stuck on 3.6.12 and no matter what I do the upgrade process goes through the 5 final steps of an upgrade then returns to admin section without upgrading any further. I've tried every flavor of 3.7 and 3.8, replacing all files in forum without it upgrading further.

Is there a flag somewhere stopping it from continuing the process?

Comment

Which vB version shows in the upper right-hand corner of the upgrade page?
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

After uploading all the new files and going to /install/upgrade.php it goes directly to the window attached.

The window showing is with the new 3.8.1 files on the server and a blank config.php. I've tried using the old one which according to compare is the same field by field, and even entering the data into the new one and rename/upload that. No luck.

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                    Which vB version shows in the upper right-hand corner of the upgrade page?
                    Attached Files

Comment

As you can see in that pic you have not uploaded all the 3.8.1 files. You need to do that in order to complete the upgrade.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ok, I wiped out every single file on the server except the images folder and re-uploaded the 3.8.1 files. It still says 3.6.12 in the upper right corner. That's a little odd. Where is it reading those version numbers from?

Is it possible those values/state of upgrade is being read from the database?

Comment

Those are coming from the *.xml files in the install directory. You are not uploading the 3.8.1 files. Make sure your FTP client is set to overwrite existing files.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks for your help Steve. Turns out the host was the culprit. After a recent server upgrade old tables for my IP's were in place so I was still accessing files on the old server via FTP and that's why it did not reflect live.

Once I discovered this I went back and replaced all files and ran upgrades and everything is great now.

Thanks!

Comment