Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will changing the spelling of Profile Field options cause issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verbose
    replied
    Can someone help me with the SQL command to run to update the value:

"My Current Option 1"

to

"My New Option 1"

I am not an SQL guru, however I believe the table I need to update is vb_profilefield.

vBulletin support, are you reading any of this thread?

Leave a comment:

• Verbose
    replied
    OK, I made the change and updated my Select drop-down options like so:

Old Values:
    My Current Option 1
    My Current Option 2

New Values:
    My New Option 1
    My New Option 2
    My New Option 3
    My New Option 4

However, now when I look in the AdminCP at a member's profile - their value for this field is set to "blank" and there is no way to tell what their previous value is. It is set to blank and the drop-down can let me select one of the four new options.

In other words changing the values of the drop-down results in all previous values disappearing.

To further complicate matters - when a user looks at THEIR profile field (usercp) - they always see the very first option from the drop-down list, which is "My New Option 1", which is incorrect.

Now I'm having to run SQL statements to revert to a backup copy of my database to undo this change, because I cannot lose this data.

So annoyed right now.

I think the only way to do this is to create a brand NEW profile field with my four new options - and then go through and manually update all current member profiles to the correct option on the new profile field. Then, delete the old profile field and soley use the new one.

Leave a comment:

• Verbose
    replied
    Thanks for your insight Lynne, that is what I was looking for. I do not currently have a test board setup, but I will give it a try and report my findings. It would've been nice if someone from vBulletin would pop in here and clarify for me and others who may want to know. I searched all over this forum before posting, and I could not find any previous info on this topic.

It sounds like what this means is that all current members will have INCORRECT and OUTDATED values for their custom profile fields following the change that will need to be manually updated somehow.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    I once changed my profile fields and as I recall, it does NOT change the ones already in the database. So, from what I recall, if a user had selected "My Current Option 1", it was not changed to "My New Option 1" after you made the change in the admin cp.

Why nto try this out on a test board?

Leave a comment:

• Verbose
    replied
    Bump for a response from the vBulletin team before I make this important change on my client's forum.

Thanks,
    Verbose

Leave a comment:

• Verbose
    replied
    Ok, after searching around it appears the Custom Profile field values are stored in the database as MEDIUMTEXT.

Does this mean all my current members will still have the old values (eihter "My Current Option 1" or "My Current Option 2") after the change, and I would need to manually go through and update everyone's Custom Profile field selections to one of the four new allowed values?

Leave a comment:

• Verbose
    replied
    Also, I am running 3.7.3 Patch Level 1, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Will changing the spelling of Profile Field options cause issues?

Hi,

I have a custom user Profile Field with two "select" options, and I want to change the spelling for both current options, and also add two more options.

ie. today I have:
    My Current Option 1
    My Current Option 2

and I want to change to:
    My New Option 1
    My New Option 2
    My New Option 3
    My New Option 4

Question: What will happen to all of the current member's who have "My Current Option 1" selected - will their profile automatically be updated to the new "My New Option 1" value or will it remain as the old outdated "My Current Option 1" value???

Thanks very much,
    Verbose
    Last edited by Verbose; Tue 21 Oct '08, 9:50am.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X