Some simple referrer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some simple referrer questions

I thought I knew the answer to this but some members have asked about it and now I'm not 100% sure haha

With regards to the referrer system :

• A member is concerned that his referrals are not being counted as when he refers new members to my forum users can still remove his username from the referrer field. I always thought that this didn't matter and if the referrer code is used a cookie is placed so even if the name is removed the referrer will get the credit. Can someone confirm if this is the case
    • Another member also wants to refer members but he wants to refer to a specific thread on my forum (a competition thread). ie. he would like to use something like http://www.bloggingtips.com/forums/s...x&referrerid=x - does this work? Can you only refer members to the home page or can you include your referrer id whilst linking to a thread.

Any help would be appreciated

kevin
    | System 0 |

1. Yes, the referrerid is on a cookie for up to one year. Assuming the person clicked on a referrer link and did not manually remove the cookies, then it should go through as a referral.

2. I believe that would work but you will need to test it out to make sure.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      1. Yes, the referrerid is on a cookie for up to one year. Assuming the person clicked on a referrer link and did not manually remove the cookies, then it should go through as a referral.

2. I believe that would work but you will need to test it out to make sure.
      Thanks Steve

1. good to know for the future

2. I just setup a test account and yes, it does work
      | System 0 |

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X