X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ascender
    replied
    Originally posted by delphi18 View Post
    I have a small site (~2000) and over the last 48 hours was inundated with 100+ registers and 5 successful posts. I switched to reCaptcha and 24hours later, no more spammer registration attempts.
    Thanks for sharing your good experience! I'll give reCaptcha a go.

Leave a comment:

• delphi18
    replied
    I have a small site (~2000) and over the last 48 hours was inundated with 100+ registers and 5 successful posts. I switched to reCaptcha and 24hours later, no more spammer registration attempts.

Leave a comment:

• ascender
    replied
    I blocked gmail addresses last night, but this morning there's a new load of spammers who have managed to register with gmail. Adding in the question option from vBulletin also hasn't helped.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeinjersey View Post
    I may install it as it seems like the next best method... but maybe vBulletin.com will implement it in their next version ? if so i'll wait.
    It has been implemented but it is week:Human Verification Questions and Answers.

Months ago I thought that there was a bug in it but the answer was that it was not a bug,it has been designed that way.

Nospam question: This forum's name is v***letin
    Answer:bul

Giving the answer "bull" :rejects it

Human Verification [email protected] question:This forum's name is v***letin
    Answer:bul

Giving the answer "bull,bulk,bulldozer":happily accepted.
    Last edited by beishe8; Thu 2 Oct '08, 11:03pm.

Leave a comment:

• yogesh
    replied
    Originally posted by Freddie Bingham View Post
    If vB owners change to recapctha in mass, then the script programmers will shift more resources to breaking it. I'm sure the recaptcha team can adjust it but it becomes an ongoing game.
    I guess I was right, the best way to tackle this is to have your moderation team in full force on the forum and recruit more mods to take care of this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• DJDarknez
    replied
    This is what I like about having a nice, small site...I've only been hit once today.

So far...

Leave a comment:

• yousellstuff
    replied
    i was having the same problem but then i added two new mods. Nospam and stop registration bots. I was getting about 3 new members a day that were spam, and now i havnt had any since. Both are at vb.org and they work very well

Leave a comment:

• AusPhotography
    replied
    Originally posted by kingnoob View Post
    Could someone tell me how efficiently clean up these new user registrations? I've got a couple forums that have been hit hard, and so far I have to go in delete posts and users manually which is quite an ordeal. I searched for "bulk user management" without much success!
    I used admin CP - users - search for users - then up the top is 'List New Registrations' i went into there and deleted them one by one. Not a bulk method, but at least you get them all in one big list and can work through them fairly quickly.

Leave a comment:

• AusPhotography
    replied
    i used the technique from post #55 and its resolved my attack for my site (at this time).

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• HobbiesPR
    replied
    I want to report that I have activated ReCaptcha for the first time this afternoon around 2PM EST and the SPAM registrations have stopped. No new registrations as this time 11:31PM EST, hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie_Brown
    replied
    Ok yo not moderate all new users I found a solution to those willing to modify a mod. Here is the mod : http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178611

Now the default setting is for 15 posts before using links etc.... to get around this goto plugins then edit the 2 parts of this plugin there change 15 to a number of your choice since my spammer post then leave I have it set at 3 to be safe.

Now you need to go to language and phrases and replace the default phrase from " 1. You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more. " to a phrase of your choice as well or otherwise your users will think they need to post 15 times which isn't the case if you modified the plugin in the 2 parts that are there in the plugin manager.

With this now I still use no spam as well as the modified plugin. I have tested it only on 3.7.3 PL1 so not sure if it will work on older version but should I think. Hope this helps others.

Leave a comment:

• kingnoob
    replied
    Could someone tell me how efficiently clean up these new user registrations? I've got a couple forums that have been hit hard, and so far I have to go in delete posts and users manually which is quite an ordeal. I searched for "bulk user management" without much success!

Leave a comment:

• wutthehell
    replied
    I was getting close to 50 an hour trying to register. I enabled the reCatcha, and the secondary verification question.... not a single one since, it seems to have worked. Thanks for the info on here guys/gals.

Leave a comment:

• Ohiosweetheart
    replied
    GAWD how I wish we could delete members en masse, much the same as we can delete threads, by checking boxes, rather than one at a time.
    What a PITA.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Vollmer
    replied
    Same here, IP addresses are all over the world, most common locations Russia, Latvia, Mexico. I turned on new user moderation to block them from posting before I ban them, but it hasn't slowed down the registrations.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X