VBulletin License Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBulletin License Question!

First, if this is the wrong place to ask this question... I'm sorry! I looked around and didn't really see a dedicated forum for license question!

Having been a customer of VB for many years and never had any issues, I want to say thanks for the awesome support and product.

Over the years I have developed several website and now the time has come to put them all under one domain. I only have ONE forum site running VB. I need to move my owned license from one domain to another, but this move will not be instant and I cannot take the existing VB site offline during the transition.

In no way do I intend to run the same license on two domains, but I also need a few weeks to integrate it into the new domain and perform functionality testing.

How does this scenario fit into the VB license protocol and is there a notification procedure I need to follow? We have postponed moving the VB site into the new domain until I find out more on the license procedure for this.

The license agreement allows you to set up a test board:

"If you have a valid license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public."
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      The license agreement allows you to set up a test board:

"If you have a valid license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public."
      Steve, thanks for the fast response! Yes sir. I am aware of the procedures for creating a testvb directory. Unfortunately that is where my problem is. I'm moving from one domain to another and testing on the current domain would not do me any justice. At the same time I cannot take down the existing site while we make the move. Nor do I wish to carry over all of the changes that have been made over the years.

How can I do that without violating the license agreement. I know most people would not even ask and just do it... But I'm not like most people, nor can I afford to leave my members stranded during this period. This whole process from start to live will take no more than 3 weeks.

Any ideas?

Comment

You cannot run two lives copies of vB with one license. You can setup a test forum as per my previous instructions. That is the only thing allowed.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          You cannot run two lives copies of vB with one license. You can setup a test forum as per my previous instructions. That is the only thing allowed.
          Well if your definition of live is anything outside of a testvb directory then this does bring me to a decision point. Of course no one outside of the developers will have access to the new site until the live date and the old one is removed. VB is a very very tiny part of our site and from the response I'm getting here, maybe we should just eliminate it all together. We do have quite a few customers who love the forums and ultimately the customers are what it's all about. I'd hate to lose even a single customer over something I can possibly resolve.

I appreciate your responses and please forgive me if it seems like I'm repeating my questions... I'm having a hard time swallowing this whole approach to my request. If I'm understanding you correctly, you are basically telling me that I must shutdown my current site and move it to the new or buy a separate license even though I would only need it for a few weeks... Correct? WOW!...

If we only had a few hundred or thousand customers to be concerned about... I'd probably consider such an approach, but this could have a very negative effect on what took many years to develop.

Regardless of what my status says here (New Member) I'm not quite sure why it says that... We have been a faithful customer for over 6 years. This look like something I'm going to have to pass up the chain of command to one of our VP's. Can you email me the contact information of the individual he will need to contact regarding this matter?

Again please forgive my bold remarks. I knew there were license limitations but I did not foresee this becoming an issue of this magnitude.

Comment

Why would it take so long to move a site from one server to another? I've done even larger 20-30gb transfers in under a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
              Why would it take so long to move a site from one server to another? I've done even larger 20-30gb transfers in under a day.
              It's not just a VB site... We have 17 other sites that are not vb that are all being moved into one domain and run as a whole. The entire array will be integrated as one large portal. If it were just the VB... We could do that in a matter of minutes.

Its impossible to test the integration if its built inside of a testvb directory and then moved to its final destination.

Comment

When you get around to finally move the vB site, while doing the other 17 sites.
                You can just close down the 1 site, move vB, open it on the new host. And remove it from the old host.

If you keep both open, your old site has 2 weeks of new members and posts, and the new site will not. It's counter productive.

Again as per our rules, 2 live sites == 2 licenses. Sorry if that's an inconvenience to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                  When you get around to finally move the vB site, while doing the other 17 sites.
                  You can just close down the 1 site, move vB, open it on the new host. And remove it from the old host.

If you keep both open, your old site has 2 weeks of new members and posts, and the new site will not. It's counter productive.

Again as per our rules, 2 live sites == 2 licenses. Sorry if that's an inconvenience to you.
                  Rules are rules and we most certianly understand that... All we were looking to do is load a blank vb, integrate it into everything else, test it, dump in the old site DB, forward the old domain to the new, and delete the old installation.

Many thanks for the responses... That clears up what we have to do. Unfortunately my bosses are not going to allow us to go live with a site with parts that have not been integrated and tested.

Thanks!

Comment

Note please that you can't do a fresh install, then import an old db on top of it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X