Version in CSS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version in CSS

I tried looking in the archives for an answer to this, so I apologize if this has already been asked and answered.

I have 3.73, and I've been successful in removing the version number from the meta tags, but as far as the CSS...

<style type="text/css" id="vbulletin_css">
    /**
    * vBulletin 3.7.3 CSS
    * Style: 'DarkVB'; Style ID: 2
    */
    Is there any way to remove the version number from THAT?

hi,

To remove the vBulletin version number goto your admincp and under your phrases manager choose "search in phrases" enter "powered_by_vbulletin" as the search text and change it accordingly .... but remember you are not permitted to remove the vBulletin copyright notice without having a licence to this (addon) the Minium to keep copyright is

"Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd."

so

Powered by vBulletin&reg; Copyright &copy;2000 - {2}, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    will remove the version number the {1} in the original version links to the version number

Comment

Thanks, but that doesn't work. I've removed the version number (complying with the requirement), but it still kicks out the version number in the CSS section of the header. I've been all over the templates, but I can't figure this one out.

Comment

It will generate it, since it's hard coded.
        You can't hide the version number. These abusive bots use different means to find out what you run. Most even try all known vb exploits to exploit a site, and the version number doesn't matter. A lot of them seem to search for showthread.php or other unique filenames, especially to find known companies who probably have branding free options, etc.

Comment

Is it not allowed to be removed? You can find where it's done if you search through the files using the correct terms.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Sure, you can remove it, but it requires customizing the source files.

Comment

OK, I had started a post about what function it is in (build_style in includes/adminfunctions_template.php) but deleted it after your response. I didn't want to post that info if it wasn't allowed.

To the OP, as Floris stated, this would require modifying the code. You cannot do this via a plug-in. And, since it does require modifying the code, vb.com isn't the site to continue the discussion. vb.org would be a better place if you need further assistance.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                Sure, you can remove it, but it requires customizing the source files.
                What files? Thanks.

Comment

Um, build_style in includes/adminfunctions_template.php. It's in the post above yours...

Comment

I have found nothing of the files, but found it on the db and removed the version.

However, and although is a GREAT security measure (even recommended on vb documents) it is useless:

You can always find the vb version... clientscript/vbulletin_global.js?v=333 <- here!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X