I just killed my database.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just killed my database.

Though I'm not sure if it is because of I tried proceeding incorrectly with the upgrade, not knowing any better, and the directions being vague at best.

For future reference during upgrades, when the directions say to upload all the files in the "upload" folder, for example, where precisely should they be uploaded to? Overwrite all the existing vbulletin files with the ones from the upload folder prior to going executing the upgrade? Or...?

overwrite all existing files

fill out config.php.new with database info and rename to config.php replacing old one

run http://yourforumurl/install/upgrade.php

Comment

The "upload" directory is the "upload" directory from the .zip file.
      The "upload" directory on the web server could be whatever directory you installed vBulletin in.

Upgrade instructions summery

* Close the forum
      * Backup the .sql database and the forum files
      * Download and unpack the 3.7.3 files
      * Remove config.php.new from 3.7.3/includes since you can use the old one from 3.6.x or 3.7.x
      * Upload the 3.7.3 files, overwriting the files online (don't resume, don't skip)
      If you have custom images you can skip the images/ directory
      * Run upgrade.php from the browser (yoursite.com/forum/install/upgrade.php)
      * Follow all the upgrade steps until you end up in the admincp after deleting the install.php and upgrade1.php files.
      * You can open the forum again after testing that everything went ok.

And you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
        Upgrade instructions summery

* Close the forum
        * Backup the .sql database and the forum files
        * Download and unpack the 3.7.3 files
        * Remove config.php.new from 3.7.3/includes since you can use the old one from 3.6.x or 3.7.x
        * Upload the 3.7.3 files, overwriting the files online (don't resume, don't skip)
        If you have custom images you can skip the images/ directory
        * Run upgrade.php from the browser (yoursite.com/forum/install/upgrade.php)
        I got that far and that's when I got this database error message, which made me wonder if I had overwritten the files too soon and was supposed to let the upgrade process do that somehow. Fortunately as things were just getting underway anyway it's not a big loss, I'll just be sure to back up the database next time if it's nothing I did wrong that caused this.

Comment

Once you replace the whatever version files with 3.7.3 and do not run upgrade, your forum will error if someone visits it. So close your forum prior to running upgrade, and don't visit it. Run upgrade.php and have it complete. Once completed you can open your forum and no error should occur. If it does open a support ticket with the full error.

(to get the full error, check the email you received, or right click the db erorr page and click view source > it will disclose the full mysql db error halfway through the page)

Comment

Originally posted by Diggazz View Post
            overwrite all existing files
            I have changed many of the existing images though. My forum has a black background so all the statusicons etc have been black matted.

Can you do the upgrade without uploading all the images ?

Comment

All non image files.

Comment

You can actually download a version of the zip file without images to make this even easier.
                DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by cheat-master30 View Post
                  You can actually download a version of the zip file without images to make this even easier.
                  I didn't spot that earlier, thanks for mentioning it

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X