Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Same domain but new site design and VB version (Help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same domain but new site design and VB version (Help)

Hi,

I currently have a site running on version 3.0.x and am having a new site being designed under the 3.7.x w/ blog & projects. Since a large portion of the coding will be added after the design is created by several individuals, they require the new site design to be up and running on the licensed domain. Secondly, I cannot just "turn off" or replace my currently running forums without doing an IMPEX and other administrative maintenance.

What is the best way to install a new licensed version of VB so it runs in parallel to my current production, so that development can continue on version 3.7.x, tested, and then I can go production once finished with the original folder paths after doing IMPEX and some other stuff.

If this has been discussed with similarity, can someone provide a link or provide a courteous response.

Much appreciated!

The vBulletin License specifically allows for a test and development installation to be created. You can read the license at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php

The specific clause is:
    If you have a valid licence, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our licence verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public.

Also, when you are happy with the setup, you should upgrade your live forums then export from the test site any modifications and styles and then import them into the live forum. You should never use ImpEx to upgrade.
    Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
      The vBulletin License specifically allows for a test and development installation to be created. You can read the license at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php

The specific clause is:
      If you have a valid licence, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our licence verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public.

Also, when you are happy with the setup, you should upgrade your live forums then export from the test site any modifications and styles and then import them into the live forum. You should never use ImpEx to upgrade.
      Thanks for the information about test/dev forums. Also, I am not upgrading as it is humanly impossible and not reasonable to do. I am starting from scratch, but using IMPEX to bring in the current users and posts regardless of the effect. I tested this already in a XAMPP install and am happy with the results. I'm playing the 80/20 rule, where 80% of the users are happy with 20% of my effort

Comment

Please note that using Impex for this purpose is not officially supported. Also it will change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers. So all posted links will no longer work, as well as search engine results from prior to this import.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X