Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subscription with email - Turkish characters in thread titles problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Subscription with email - Turkish characters in thread titles problem

    Hello,

    Turkish characters aren't displayed in SOME of the thread titles in the subscription email notifications. Most of the thread titles don't have this problem. It's weird. Example:

    Code:
    MsXLabs Hi-Tech Forum [--email here--]
    'Forum'da olmasını istediğiniz özellikler' konusuna cevap
    
    Merhaba --username here--,
    
    Tester, MsXLabs Hi-Tech Forum´da bulunan Site ve Forum Hakkında başlıklı forumun abonesi olduğunuz - Forum'da olmasını istediğiniz özellikler - konusuna cevap yazdı.
    
    Konu bağlantısı:
    http://www.msxlabs.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3059&goto=newpost
    
    Gönderilen Mesaj:
    ***************
    Test Message, Turkish Characters = Ş Ğ İ Ü Ö Ç ş ğ ı ü ö ç
    ***************
    
    
    Başka cevaplar da olabilir fakat forumu tekrar ziyaret edene kadar daha fazla bildirim almayacaksınız.
    
    Saygılar,
    MsXLabs Hi-Tech Forum ekibi
    http://www.MsXLabs.org
    
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Abonelik İptali Bilgisi:
    
    Bu konu aboneliğinizi iptal etmek için lütfen bu sayfayı ziyaret ediniz:
    http://www.msxlabs.org/forum/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&type=thread&subscriptionid=201039&auth=f5d6081da9b560ae21095f723a9cb9ca
    
    Bütün konulardan aboneliğinizi iptal etmek için lütfen bu sayfayı ziyaret ediniz:
    http://www.msxlabs.org/forum/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all
    Turkish translation of the phrases don't have this problem, either. (vBulletin 3.7.2 PL1)

    Note: vBulletin displays them correctly so i've added the screenshot:
    MsXLabs Forum

  • #2
    Not really a vBulletin problem, but a mail server problem.

    Mail server (receiving end) is converting the special characters into their escaped form in HTML entities, without converting the mail into HTML mail, so the entities are left as is to confuse the mail client.

    An Unicode UTF-8 encoded site may not encounter this problem, as all entities are representable in UTF-8, but the mails will face other issues with localized providers that are not up to par with technologies and doesn't support unicode.

    Not much can be done about this aside than hope that the receiving end fixes the problem on their end.
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Andy Huang View Post
      Not really a vBulletin problem, but a mail server problem.

      Mail server (receiving end) is converting the special characters into their escaped form in HTML entities, without converting the mail into HTML mail, so the entities are left as is to confuse the mail client.

      An Unicode UTF-8 encoded site may not encounter this problem, as all entities are representable in UTF-8, but the mails will face other issues with localized providers that are not up to par with technologies and doesn't support unicode.

      Not much can be done about this aside than hope that the receiving end fixes the problem on their end.
      But this problem only exists for certain threads (receiving ends are hotmail, yahoo and the local domain). I tested about 10 threads against "turkish characters problem in the email notification subjects" and there was only 1 problematic thread. I cancelled my subscription and re-added to that thread but nothing changed.
      MsXLabs Forum

      Comment


      • #4
        I changed the thread title to something else and restored the old one and it worked.
        MsXLabs Forum

        Comment

        widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X