How do I stop spammers registering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I stop spammers registering?

I've recently been subject to a number of new registrations from spammers, they can't post because I modify new members but how do I stop them registering in the first place?

Will someone try to register on my forum to tell me what I can do to stop them please...

http://cof.tigerroar.co.uk/register.php

I have the same problem.

Despite taking a good amount of prevention methods, I have recently had a surge in the amount of spam accounts registering - although, the majority dont post? - possibly due to having disabled the posting of links until 5 posts have been made.

I know they are spammed accounts because literally 9/10 signups as of late have the date of birth as 1st Jan 1980 and bizarre usernames/emails.

Theyare suspect in that they all seem to have a date of birth as 1st Jan 1980 and bizarre usernames.

To signup they have to answer the question 'are you human', where they have to type yes/ye/yeah etc in the box to verify. I also have the Check4SPAM mod installed.

I am at a loss how to prevent such sign ups.

Could anyone please give me any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerroar View Post
      Will someone try to register on my forum to tell me what I can do to stop them please...
      The Question & Answer is too simple. Try something that requires an answer other then a number. Like "What does a football player wear on his head?".

Comment

Originally posted by Bacon Butty View Post
        To signup they have to answer the question 'are you human', where they have to type yes/ye/yeah etc in the box to verify.
        Be more creative with your Question & Answer. Simple answers like "Yes, a number, a color' are easily defeated.

Comment

The problem with that though Andy is new members shouldn't have to pass a test to register.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            The Question & Answer is too simple. Try something that requires an answer other then a number. Like "What does a football player wear on his head?".
            hey buddy this is good idea but how to do this explain how to create this Q/A

Comment

We were getting more than 100 a day and the screening was taking several hours a day. Most were from China and Russia. We finally put it to an end about six months ago by adding required fields (not displayed in profile) for name, street address, phone # etc., along with a few questions anyone in our member demographic would be able to answer.

We get about 2% that resent the invasion of privacy to whom we respond that the information is for security and is not shared and about half of them will then re register.
              Fred Weiss
              Signs101.com
              [email protected]

Comment

what i've done is create required profile fields... if they're spammers, they'll typically put 1's in those fields and since i moderate all new users, i just delete them.

if it gets really bad and they're using a cn account or something like that, i'll ban both the IP address and email tag.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerroar View Post
                  I've recently been subject to a number of new registrations from spammers, they can't post because I modify new members but how do I stop them registering in the first place?

of the antispam tactics i've tried, the SINGLE most effective was installing modsecurity on the server with rulesets from gotroot.com. we went from 20+ spammers signup a day to maybe one a month, and the remaining are individuals who are trying to get around our linking restrictions for new members. but we got rid pretty much all of the automated variety by getting mod security properly configured on the server.

as a plus, any email accounts on the server will get much less spam, too. i wouldn't run a server without it now. if you're on a shared hosting account, you'll need to discuss it with your host.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacon Butty View Post
                    The problem with that though Andy is new members shouldn't have to pass a test to register.
                    Your Question and Answer doesn't have to be a test. Your question can be to ask to type a word.

Comment

Originally posted by abu1958 View Post
                      hey buddy this is good idea but how to do this explain how to create this Q/A
                      Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Human Verification Manager

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X