User is not receiving PM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User is not receiving PM's

I already asked about this in the members ticket system but as no one has replied I'll do it here:

A single user -we don't have any other compliant but may be more- is not receiving messages since 3.7.0 update, I already updated the board to 3.7.1 but he is having the same problem. In the members area I already posted all the data required to fully access my forum, so, please, someone help.

The user is a Super Moderator and I already checked all his data and everything seems ok.

What messages exactly?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Considering that Kerry-Anne Peters and Wayne Luke forgot about me in the "exclusive" support ticket system, I'll just have to ask for help here.

The affected user by this rare problem just found out that there is another user with the exact same nickname, I logged in with this second account and found out that this user had all the lost messages. However, after changing the nickname of the clon, the problem seems to be solved. I'll just ask, if its not a too much, if someone know how this second nickname could exist when it's supposed to be impossible to create repeated nicknames.

Oh, and vBulletin used to have such a faster tech support for members, it's a shame that you offer such a nice new features in the new versions of the software but has such a slow and ultra-not-satisfactory technical support for paying members.

Regards.

Comment

That is not possible with the default vB code. Either someone added this user manually via the database, or this was caused by an add-on.

Please note that each ticket is assigned to a specific individual and none of us are instantly available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to immediately respond to everything.

Your ticket was assign to Wayne who is having Internet problems today. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

That is not possible with the default vB code. Either someone added this user manually via the database, or this was caused by an add-on.
          Only I have access to the DB and we have no add-ons... is there any other posibility?, how could I check if someone hacked my data to enter the db?

Comment

There is no other possibility that I'm aware of. You can try is yourself. Try adding a new user that has the same name as an existing user.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I'm still having problems, when the user writes something, in every index appears as the other user, only when entering the thread you can see the real nickname.

Comment

Sorry I don't know what that mean. Please explain.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

When this particular user (Spdierman) writes a post in any thread, instead of appear his nickname in the forum index as the latest user to post, it appears the nickname of the clon (ClonSPDR). When clicked, ClonSPDR nickname send you to the Spiderman's profile instead of its own.

Comment

What method did you use to change the username of the "clon"? And, do you use any sort of vbseo? (I ask cuz I thought vb keeps track of it's users through the userid, not the username.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

What method did you use to change the username of the "clon"? And, do you use any sort of vbseo? (I ask cuz I thought vb keeps track of it's users through the userid, not the username.)
                      I just edited the nickname in the administrator panel, I don't even know what a vbseo is.

Comment

This doesn't happen with the default vB code unless n add-on was installed or messed up the database.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment