Anyone ever heard of Twing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever heard of Twing?

So I get this email today from Twing (http://www.twing.com) asking to sign up and use a password protected(?) php file that they'll supply to have our forum indexed in their search db.
    Has anyone ever heard of them? ever seen this php script they use?

thoughts?

Originally posted by via email
    The following message was sent to you via the The PokéCommunity Forums Contact Us form by John Fernandez ( mailto:[email protected] ).

--------------------------------

Dear PokéCommunity Forums Admin,

I head up Business Development for Twing (http://www.twing.com), a specialty search engine for forums.

We would like to invite you to a program where Twing can index your forum’s content more efficiently and using lesser bandwidth resources on your end. We have developed a PHP script that will allow us to directly access your content when it is installed in the root directory of your vBulletin instance. It uses the vBulletin API to retrieve data from the forum, thread and post table in MySQL. We have password protected this script so as to prevent other bots from accessing it. We have extensively tested it with a variety of vBulletin versions and are confident that it won’t pose a problem for your installation.

The advantage of using this script is that it allows Twing to rapidly get new posts and threads as they are created, keeping Twing up-to-date with the latest content in your Forum. The big benefit for you is the more fresh content we have from you, the more likely users interested in your forum topic will find your site.

If you are ready to get the ball rolling, please sign up for Twing at http://www.twing.com/features/create_account/, which will and let me know your Twing username. Once I have that I will send you the PHP script so we can get you up and running!

Feel free to contact me via email or phone with any questions.

Best,
    John

John C. Fernandez
    Director of Business Development
    Twing
    101 Hudson Street, Suite 3501
    Jersey City, NJ 07302
    Direct: +1 (201) 557-9371
    Mobile: +1 (917) 771-0102
    Fax: +1 (201) 557-9377
    E-Mail: [email protected]

--------------------------------

Referring Page: http://www.pokecommunity.com/
    IP Address: 209.212.73.133
    User Name: Unregistered
    User ID: 0
    Email: [email protected]
    thanks,
    Steve, Webmaster and Admin
    www.pokecommunity.com

Nope, since Google can index my forums just fine. Plus, it seems VERY inefficient for someone to manually contact you to get this started.
    So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

yeah.. it's fine if he wanted me to list / sign up my url at his search site.. but thought of him offering a file that interfaced with vB kinda scared me a bit.. not sure how legit this is.

anyone else?
      www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec44 View Post
        Nope, since Google can index my forums just fine. Plus, it seems VERY inefficient for someone to manually contact you to get this started.
        My apologies for not having caught this thread earlier.

One, we're not Google. We're a specialty search engine specifically for Forums.

The reason I've been contacting some of the larger forum owners about the Feed API is that crawling can be horribly inefficient - there's a lot of HTML generated which Twingbot doesn't need, since all we process are the contents and structure of the post. We're very sensitive to the fact that a lot of Forum owners have to pay out of pocket for everything (including bandwidth), and thus we are always looking for ways to be more efficient any way we can.

Also, the Twingbot crawler can't constantly be on a particular site, so using the Feed API allows fresh content to get into Twing's index faster. We feel strongly that this is a win-win-win, not only for Forum Owners and Twing, but Twing's users as well, who are looking to join communities they are interested in.

If anyone's interested, feel free to drop me a line.

Comment

Hi,

I'd like to add a point or two as well...

You don't have to install the forum map script to get into Twing. If you're in a supported format, we'll likely find you or you can just submit your site to our form and we'll get to it.

All this thing does is basically make a map similar to what Site Maps do for regular sites. The only difference is that it takes into account the special format of forums. This allows for more effective indexing, which - as John points out - is good for all of us. This way, Twing users can get the best results. (In the form of snippets only of course. We do not and would not cache and deliver YOUR content to our users. We just aspire to being the most effective search service for community / forum type content.)

Scott
          Director, Product Management
          Twing.com
          Director, Product Mangement
          Twing.com <-- Community Search & Discovery Engine

Comment

Originally posted by JohnTwing View Post

The reason I've been contacting some of the larger forum owners about the Feed API is that crawling can be horribly inefficient - there's a lot of HTML generated which Twingbot doesn't need, since all we process are the contents and structure of the post. We're very sensitive to the fact that a lot of Forum owners have to pay out of pocket for everything (including bandwidth), and thus we are always looking for ways to be more efficient any way we can.

Also, the Twingbot crawler can't constantly be on a particular site, so using the Feed API allows fresh content to get into Twing's index faster. We feel strongly that this is a win-win-win, not only for Forum Owners and Twing, but Twing's users as well, who are looking to join communities they are interested in.

PM, email sent..

thanks
            www.pokecommunity.com

Comment

PM me with more info in this.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by pokesph View Post
                PM, email sent..

thanks
                Originally posted by Retro View Post
                PM me with more info in this.

Cheers
                Done.

Comment

Also, the Twingbot crawler can't constantly be on a particular site.......
                  That little Twingbot is on my site everyday, nearly all day.
                  Peggy
                  ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

The reason I've been contacting some of the larger forum owners about the Feed API is that crawling can be horribly inefficient...
                    You're not kidding - but it is because your bot crawler is so amazing. It racked up a phenomenal 45000 pageviews on one thread in my forum. I was impressed at its persistence.
                    The Forum SA - A South African website for business minded folk.

Comment

Sometimes he can be a bit... oh, let's call him precocious, when he first discovers a new spot! But once he's got some history, he settles down to just do updates.

Scott
                      Director, Product Mangement
                      Twing.com <-- Community Search & Discovery Engine

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X