Sporatic Security token error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporatic Security token error

Just curious why just a few of my members would be getting the security token error? I've read this thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268862

and have suggested to my members to clear their caches and purge their cookies and it has solved the problem for a lot of them but I still have a small handful of folks still experiencing this. I am reluctant to reinstall all the files again and re-run install scripts. I am comfortable installing and upgrading my forums but my biggest fear is doing something like what is mentioned in that thread and crashing my forums. My site is new and in a growing spurt due to a lot of local promotion and I can't afford for the site to crash on me.

My question is....is there any real need to reinstall all of those files if 98 % of my members aren't having that problem? Does reinstalling totally cure this or would it still be possible these few folks would have the problem afterwords? Is there anything they can do on their end to stop this from happening? It seems like the ones complaining about it are using the most current version of Firefox and they really have no desire to switch over to another browser?

Assuming it's only some users and you cannot duplicate this problem then my guess is that they are not really emptying their browser cache.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve, if I chose to reinstall the core files and run the install script mentioned in that link would I have to uninstall the vbblog I added along with the few plugins I have or would I just leave them as is? Also, I just noticed there is a 3.7.1....I have 3.7.0, would upgrading to the next step resolve this or is it still an issue on the newer version?

Comment

If there's a problem with users not clearing their cache, couldn't you turn on the no-cache headers for a few days to take care of that?
        ~~~~~

Comment

Don't run install. That will wipe out all your data.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I am having more and more newly registered members sending me email about this. Steve, does vbulletin offer any paid hourly support to come onto my site and clear this up for me?

Comment

There is nothing we cn do since by all accounts this is a problem on the user end and not vB.

However please see this thread for the steps to resolve this error in 3.7:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268862

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Would this be caused by a mod that you have installed?
                Ask your users that have this issue to see if they can recreate the issue. Then what they were doing.
                Also, a custom theme may do this as well.

Comment

Steve, I ran across this post Wayne made at vb.org....wish he had posted it here

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...6&postcount=14

Anyways....I've taken one of my custom themes and ran the search and sure enough I found quite a few templates missing the second line of code so I've added it to each template it was missing from. I've asked everyone who was experiencing this problem to switch over to the theme that I made the changes on and see if they get the security token issue. If this fixes it then I'll have to go through 2 more stylesets and search through and add the code in manually.

Comment

That is of the thread I linked to in post #2 here:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

We are having the same issues, A hand full of users getting the security token was missing or mismatched error when logging in.
                      I have not been able to recreate the error myself making new accounts or logging into theirs, I've also disabled all mods but has no effect.

Comment

Post #3:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Sporatic reports of "security token was missing or mismatched" are being brought to my notice as well.

However so far they only report the problem when trying to do a search.

Comment

people who are just now joining are complaining about this on my site.

Comment

I get the error message when trying to report a pm...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X