Spam bots defeat Recaptcha.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike Jordan View Post

I was curious as to how easy it was to find out who was running vBulletin 3.7 so I did a Google search with the words "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7"... Yep, page after page after page of forums, including mine, came up. So for those wondering how they are finding out, it's not hard for them to find out who is on 3.7 at all. So vBulletin gets a lot of advertisement for free (that's just business of course) but there is a lighted path right back to all of us.'

Would a small image with the exact same text help?
    World Literature Forum

Comment

• Looks like an excellent idea, but would that be lagal?

Comment

• New one

Username: ultimatewarrior8888
        IP address: 220.249.163.229
        E-mail address: [email protected]

I'm currently getting over 40 spam posts a day at my board (3.7.0).

Comment

• I wonder if upgrading to 3.7.1 would make difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac View Post
            I wonder if upgrading to 3.7.1 would make difference.
            That would be no.

We used to get MAYBE one spam account every other month or so. Today I upgraded from 3.6. to 3.7.1, and we've had 10 in about 4 hours. We're pretty annoyed. :P So, yay 3.7, lol...
            http://www.fosters-home.com/forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Mile-O-Phile View Post
              [/font]

Would a small image with the exact same text help?
              They are probably searching for "Powered by vBulletin" because they are doing this on multiple versions. One thing in common that they all do is use January 1, 1980 as the birth date.

Can we ban users with that birth date or something?
              Last edited by EcoForumZ; Mon 2 Jun '08, 8:20pm.
              EbikeForum - Electric Bicycle Forum

Comment

• I have a branding free and they still find my site and spam it. It may be that amoung other search criteria. There are so many phrases uses over and over again on thousands of forums, it would be pretty easy to find vbull exclusive forums if desired.
                www.Copiertalk.com - Everything Copier , Printer, Fax

Comment

• To quickly find all spammers do this. To verify if they are a spammer do a search with there username on google. If they belong to thousands of forums that they are probably a spammer. You can further verify by reading threads they posted on the forums they belong to.

Admincp, users, search for users, add the following dates in the fields and hit find.

Birthday is After(yyyy-mm-dd) Enter = 1980-01-00
                  Birthday is Before(yyyy-mm-dd) Enter = 1980-01-02

So the question is how do we make it so users with January 1, 1980 as there birthdate need to be moderated or something like that? Can somebody create a scheduled task or use a plugin to search for users with that birthdate then perform a certain task on them?

My forum does not require users to add there date of birth but for some reason they all have the same birthdate. If this was a live person doing this why would they take the time to go into usercp and change there birthdate to exactly January 1, 1980? Lot's of sites require a birthdate to join so there software is adding it automatically. This is not a single human doing this they are using software to do this. These guys belong to thousands of forums within days.

Do a search for this new one usagirl19735 or this one that has been around for a while longer KaiyureBoy they are not doing this by themselves.
                  Last edited by EcoForumZ; Mon 2 Jun '08, 8:45pm.
                  EbikeForum - Electric Bicycle Forum

Comment

• Banning by birthdate requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• I'm running a currently non-branded version of 3.65 that spent the first year of its 4-year life branded and I'm getting hit with just about every spammer registrant listed above. I simply banned the first few suspect registrants and one of them, lovebeijso, came in a few days later and somehow posted 5 spams in 3 minutes, so now I delete the registrants when I see them and ban the e-mail and IP; and block the user name in the registration options settings. I'm running Captcha and e-mail verification.

Another forum I run has been non-branded from day one (only about 3 months ago) and is running 3.6.8 PL2 and no problem with these particular culprits.

How about a system like SpamAssassin Rules where you can dynamically have vBulletin refer to a constantly-updated central database when each user registers?

Comment

• 3.7 has a system like this to prevent spam posts from being made live.

Comment

• Here is the newest one I just got yesterday.

username - weiwei
                          dob - Jan 1 1980
                          email - [email protected]
                          time zone - bejing, perth, singapore, hong kong

The bots seem to have slowed down on my site. I see them trying to register but not many are getting through any more..

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs Take 2 View Post
                            Here is the newest one I just got yesterday.

username - weiwei
                            dob - Jan 1 1980
                            email - [email protected]
                            time zone - bejing, perth, singapore, hong kong

The bots seem to have slowed down on my site. I see them trying to register but not many are getting through any more..
                            IP of 'weiwei' is 221.221.173.160. (he also spammed at my board today).

Comment

• Originally posted by SurfCityvBer View Post
                              How about a system like SpamAssassin Rules where you can dynamically have vBulletin refer to a constantly-updated central database when each user registers?
                              Like Akismet? vBulletin Options -> Spam Management.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• new one

just popped up today:
                                Tcrubuyuuie
                                email: [email protected]
                                ip address: 222.183.121.247
                                date of birth is Jan 1, 1980

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X