No announcement yet.

Spam bots defeat Recaptcha.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So did something change between 6.8 and 7 or did the spammers just get smarter? We are in the same shape as everyone else with a sudden rush of spammers unlike anything we have seen in quite a while.

Comment

I agree, my board has had 5 spammers in the last 2 days - with all of the above names mentioned.

I'm at a loss of what to do, lets keep this thread going untill we have a soloution.

Comment

I think Andreas has the answer to the problem here possibly:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...39#post1566939

There are definitely bots attached to those usernames as the ISBot mod stopped 2 again today.

Comment

I have had two forums being hit by these (and last week was "Jessie" with the spam PMs).

One forum has had around 12 new sign ups in 12 hours, all from China. All DOB as Jan 1, 1980. All defeated the human verification in place.

I toggled one forum to verify all new members first, but they also modify their profile so that this is the spam, even if the registration does not complete.

Comment

A search for beijmanli on Google shows over 5,000 results.

I did a random check on a few of these sites and it appears they are all using capcha. Looks to me that the capcha has been defeated.

I use the Q/A system and it works very well.

Comment

I use the Q&A system also. The bots must be using the question to derive the answer?

I am going to try a new question that does not give the answer as easily.

Comment

The latest is
                kevin7901

Email Address : [email protected]
                Birthday : 01-01-1980
                Referrer: N/A
                IP Address: 61.173.40.118

Comment

Yep have him too banned him Haven't had Spam then upgraded to 3.7 and now I have it

Comment

Originally posted by randychase View Post
                    I use the Q&A system also. The bots must be using the question to derive the answer?

I am going to try a new question that does not give the answer as easily.
                    The spammers are using vBulletin and monitor threads like this one. As long as you make it easy to locate your website like you do, a human will register just to throw you off.

Delete all personal data on vBulletin.com and just use the Q/A system on your forum, you will find that it works.

Comment

The basic problem with preventing spam on forums is what I consider a leap-frog affect. We make the tools like Captcha better and the spammers come up with newer anti-captcha tools. This will continue ad infititum. With spam it is in our best interests to protect your interests. For spammers they only care about their interests.

In order to do this you need a variety of tools. In vBulletin 3.7.0, we provide several key tools that provide benefits. These include Human Verification (Captcha), Email Validation, Moderation and Spam Filtering (via Akismet). All of these need to work in concert to reduce spam and even then it might not catch it all though we hope it will catch most of it. I recommend that you use all these tools on your site to prevent spam from becoming prolific.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                        The spammers are using vBulletin and monitor threads like this one. As long as you make it easy to locate your website like you do, a human will register just to throw you off.

Delete all personal data on vBulletin.com and just use the Q/A system on your forum, you will find that it works.

Note that the spammers are not attacking the main site listed in my sig, but are attacking other sites of mine that are not listed.

And FYI... I changed the Q&A to something that did not include the answer, and just got one more registration, so that is not stopping the swarm.

Comment

Originally posted by randychase View Post
                          Note that the spammers are not attacking the main site listed in my sig, but are attacking other sites of mine that are not listed.

And FYI... I changed the Q&A to something that did not include the answer, and just got one more registration, so that is not stopping the swarm.
                          You me the site where you ask "What is the abbreviaton for Printed Circuit Board?" It's not very difficult to find your sites because you have a unique handle.

I think the spammers are targeting threads like this one and registering by human to throw us off to make us think that Q&A is not working.

Comment

Not sure if this one has been mentioned;

limited1 [email protected] 83.229.90.44

can anyone confirm if this one is a spammer?

PinBoard Blog [email protected] 92.3.224.157

Comment

I have new user moderation on, and vBMail mod. So far, no spam ever since I upgraded to 3.7. We used to get like 10 spams a day even with captcha and email verification on.
                              So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec44 View Post
                                I have new user moderation on, and vBMail mod. So far, no spam ever since I upgraded to 3.7. We used to get like 10 spams a day even with captcha and email verification on.
                                Sounds like you had GD SimpleFont and not TrueType 2, which would cause the issue.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X