Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The basic problem with preventing spam on forums is what I consider a leap-frog affect. We make the tools like Captcha better and the spammers come up with newer anti-captcha tools. This will continue ad infititum. With spam it is in our best interests to protect your interests. For spammers they only care about their interests.

In order to do this you need a variety of tools. In vBulletin 3.7.0, we provide several key tools that provide benefits. These include Human Verification (Captcha), Email Validation, Moderation and Spam Filtering (via Akismet). All of these need to work in concert to reduce spam and even then it might not catch it all though we hope it will catch most of it. I recommend that you use all these tools on your site to prevent spam from becoming prolific.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by randychase View Post
    I use the Q&A system also. The bots must be using the question to derive the answer?

I am going to try a new question that does not give the answer as easily.
    The spammers are using vBulletin and monitor threads like this one. As long as you make it easy to locate your website like you do, a human will register just to throw you off.

Delete all personal data on vBulletin.com and just use the Q/A system on your forum, you will find that it works.

Leave a comment:

• Boosted Panda
    replied
    Yep have him too banned him Haven't had Spam then upgraded to 3.7 and now I have it

Leave a comment:

• El Burro
    replied
    The latest is
    kevin7901

Email Address : [email protected]
    Birthday : 01-01-1980
    Referrer: N/A
    IP Address: 61.173.40.118

Leave a comment:

• randychase
    replied
    I use the Q&A system also. The bots must be using the question to derive the answer?

I am going to try a new question that does not give the answer as easily.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    A search for beijmanli on Google shows over 5,000 results.

I did a random check on a few of these sites and it appears they are all using capcha. Looks to me that the capcha has been defeated.

I use the Q/A system and it works very well.

Leave a comment:

• randychase
    replied
    I have had two forums being hit by these (and last week was "Jessie" with the spam PMs).

One forum has had around 12 new sign ups in 12 hours, all from China. All DOB as Jan 1, 1980. All defeated the human verification in place.

I toggled one forum to verify all new members first, but they also modify their profile so that this is the spam, even if the registration does not complete.

Leave a comment:

• AdrianH
    replied
    I think Andreas has the answer to the problem here possibly:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...39#post1566939

There are definitely bots attached to those usernames as the ISBot mod stopped 2 again today.

Leave a comment:

• smooth-c
    replied
    I agree, my board has had 5 spammers in the last 2 days - with all of the above names mentioned.

I'm at a loss of what to do, lets keep this thread going untill we have a soloution.

Leave a comment:

• Art Andrews
    replied
    So did something change between 6.8 and 7 or did the spammers just get smarter? We are in the same shape as everyone else with a sudden rush of spammers unlike anything we have seen in quite a while.

Leave a comment:

• boogie box high
    replied
    Originally posted by CareyCrew View Post
    I have the Recaptcha system set up and also use the ISBot mod, in the last week I have had 14 spam bots seed the forum member list.

these are the last 2 :

beijmanli Email Address : [email protected]
    Birthday : January 1, 1980
    IP Address: 58.17.147.112

KaiyureBoy Email Address : [email protected]
    Birthday : January 1, 1980
    IP Address: 121.234.239.204

A quick Google shows them as very prolific spammers,this is no manual entry campaign.

Prior to v 3.7 I used the NO SPAM mod combined with ISBot and never had a single spammer succeed in joining the forum.
    Yes, I have posted it in another thread a few days ago.
    I have the same issue also with Q&A function, I had over 10 signups on Sunday and have disabled Q&A function then. Pretty useless.

Leave a comment:

• 5thfoot
    replied
    just checking Google again for the usernames mentioned and it is climbing at an alarming rate - 10,000, every one I click on is a different forum.

think this could be a major spam event in the making ?

Leave a comment:

• El Burro
    replied
    I've had these bots join my forum.

They are bots because the joined my 3.6.8 forum which was renamed during an upgrade to 3.7.0 and is orphaned, but I hadn't deleted it.

That doesn't mean it's not a combination of bot/human.

1. Bots find the forum.
    2. Humans register
    3. Bot spams.

What can you do if this is the case?

Have vbulletin keep a list of e-mail addresses of known forum spammers.
    Which we can add to.
    That is checked during registration?

It might help?

Leave a comment:

• AdrianH
    replied
    Originally posted by blazeman View Post
    Don't put it past spammers to hire people in low wage areas of the world to be doing just this.

I had a Jessie join yesterday and before we could see they were spamming they sent out 65 PMs... They were from the states (IP wise).
    May be that is what they are doing, they were on IP's from China for the last 5 attempts.

Leave a comment:

• blazeman
    replied
    Originally posted by CareyCrew View Post
    Looking at the sheer volume of reports on Google I doubt it is anything but a BOT system , there would need to be 100's of people finding forums and typing manually to hit like this.
    Don't put it past spammers to hire people in low wage areas of the world to be doing just this.

I've also had these guys and deleted them as soon as the email came in with their membership.

I had a Jessie join yesterday and before we could see they were spamming they sent out 65 PMs... They were from the states (IP wise).

Ahh the fun battle of running a forum

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X